PDA

View Full Version : My Journey...

Slapdash
March 1st, 2005, 11:18 AM
Hi there

Here is a short ...about my Linux journey and then a question.

I saw my first Linux... lets say " screen" with SUSE 6. THen I didnt know anything. My friend showed me a couple of things and I thought cool but WAAAAAYYYY too labour intensive etc to do anything. Stayd with WINdowze.
Later I found Mandrake 7 Hmm interesting... This Linux thing was showing promise I thought, still not able to do work or games like I wanted to.

Then about a year ago I found Mandrake 8 and then 9 and 10, Loved it Had a dual boot with Win XP, cool,. Did some stuff played around etc. Still had to use windowze for some stuff.

THen I found UBUNTU, hmmm Awesom nice and clean ... Man I loved the ease of use, loved Synaptic etc. awesom - You know what caused me to leave? SUDO.

THen I found MEPIS, I have been using it ever since and I love it. I went from NOOB to " a bit Wiser than NOOB" Love it.
But I found myself yearning for UBUNTU. Dont ask me why, every so often I come back read the forums and miss the enthusiastic support, the great help from the community, maybe its because I'm from South Africa I relate to the pruduct after all Mark S didnt live too far away from me.

I am the only Linux Desktop in my company and Mepis is doing just great, the rest uses XP or 2000, so it was a great test for a Distro

Now HOARY is coming out and that yearning desire is back with me.... I keep asking myself the question.
"" Should I go back to Ubuntu?"
"Yes" I hear myself say but then another voice "" What about SUDO"
and I think nah, let me stay with MEPIS.

Now my question
How can I log in and have Proper ADMIN rights ( As in Mepis and Windows ) without having to go to the BLOODY command line and Sudo this and Sudo that.
Isnt there a way the Developers can program a feature into UBUNTU Hoary that will let one configure a ROOT user without having to SUDO all the time in a Console?

I would LOVE to use, copy etc. do my work in a Graphical env. without having to run into walls with sudo and console all the time.
Like I said I work in a Windows only env. and for me to be able to have root privs all the time in GNOME / KDE and not in the Console is VERY important. ( I'm not your Average LINUX GURU ) and like to do things as quick as possible - after all time is money.

Maybe there is a feature like this and for some unexplained reason I cant get it to work or find it etc.

I dont want super user with Sudo
I want ROOT when I log in ;)
I am sure there is a lot of people in a corporate env. that feels exactly the way I do and it might keep them from loving ubuntu.

Is there any way to acomplish this?

hashimoto
March 1st, 2005, 12:12 PM
Well, the information on how to enable root account has been available since October, at least. See: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=195&highlight=root

Adrenal
March 1st, 2005, 12:14 PM
Logging in as root normally is roughly equivelent to driving without a seatbelt, on a road made spikes.
It can be done with a command or two, but i recommend against it

Slapdash
March 1st, 2005, 01:14 PM
I've been using Mepis perfectly well with root privs.
Lets say I like to live dangerously. ;)

Hashimoto: That link states that you can enable root / and open shell with a command. I know how sudo works in the shell.
What I want is to have root and stay out of any shell/console for silly things like writing to a folder / copying / Installing etc. etc

Its a pain in the neck to have to go to the console every time.

Isnt there a user-switcher option.

Slapdash
March 1st, 2005, 03:58 PM
Adrenal could you tell me how to do it please?

poofyhairguy
March 1st, 2005, 08:32 PM
I've been using Mepis perfectly well with root privs.
Lets say I like to live dangerously. ;)

Hashimoto: That link states that you can enable root / and open shell with a command. I know how sudo works in the shell.
What I want is to have root and stay out of any shell/console for silly things like writing to a folder / copying / Installing etc. etc

Its a pain in the neck to have to go to the console every time.

Isnt there a user-switcher option.

First let me say that you can use whatever OS you want and I think its great- choice is good. Mepis is a great complement to Ubuntu. It fixes many problems people have with Ubuntu (KDE support, unfree media support) while Ubuntu fixes problems I personally had with Mepis (Gnome support, apt-get breakage).

Does this page help you do what you want?-

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/documentation/faq/root

I hope so. One of my favorite things about Ubuntu is sudo. As a windows convert, I originally ran in SU mode all the time. But then I realized that in Linux (unlike windows) almost all programs actually work in restricted user mode. I try to almost never use the root, as many of the worst Windows problems (spyware, viruses) can be solved be using a restricted user most of the time.

But each to his own, and I'll be glad to use my Google skills again for you if this does not have the info you need.

Slapdash
March 2nd, 2005, 07:37 AM
Hi thanks, I rekon that might help, I'll install Ubuntu again and Take off Mepis at home. I also want to switch because of Gnome and Apt-Get Breakage.
I dont know why but Gnome feels.....like its beckoning somehow..but I have to use Ubuntu ;) dont ask me what I mean I cant explain it.
Also to me the Ubuntu Community as a whole is better and the idea behind it is more what I'm looking for in a Distro.

I'll try that and let you guys know, Thanks again.

A-star
March 2nd, 2005, 09:24 AM
Hi thanks, I rekon that might help, I'll install Ubuntu again and Take off Mepis at home. I also want to switch because of Gnome and Apt-Get Breakage.
I dont know why but Gnome feels.....like its beckoning somehow..but I have to use Ubuntu ;) dont ask me what I mean I cant explain it.
Also to me the Ubuntu Community as a whole is better and the idea behind it is more what I'm looking for in a Distro.

I'll try that and let you guys know, Thanks again.
Can't you just add yourselff to the root group?

Slapdash
March 2nd, 2005, 10:30 AM
I could if I knew what it was ;)
I'll read about it and do that.

Like I said I have Ubuntu and playing with it but my main Distro is still Mepis, I am working hard on trying to making it UBUNTU though :-({|=

I recon that Mepis still has a leg-up in a few areas but seeing the Ubuntu community makes me feel that Ubuntu has Waaayyy more promise than Mepis. Sorry to say, or rather happy to say. #-o