PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] White Screen of Death

GNUoob
May 9th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to read/view/respond in whatever order you managed to get through.

Short of it is I installed ubuntu but 10.10? but cant get into the gui as it white screens at some point.

I am sure it is a graphics issue but being an ID-10-T am unable to figure out the correct commands to kill the GUI and force it to reconfigure for this machines graphics stuff. *(long story time)

*= laptop has a dead cdrom so i pulled the hd out and installed on a tower using an adapter and plugged it back into the laptop.

Reason for 10.10 is i have two small kids and little time. my pet projects right now are limited to their sleeping schedules and honey do lists. yes it was 6 months ago i started this.

Edit- video linkage
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BwDjiw5_Hs-gZmZjZjRiNDYtMWI0ZS00NDM5LThmZjAtYzNkMWJlMmE2ZWIz&hl=en

Najubhai
May 11th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I assume you have ATi Graphics card,if so then just go to the Grub2 menu scroll down to the line linux \boot and press end
Next press space and write radeon.modeset=0 (for nVidia write nomodeset)
and then press ctrl+x.Hopefully it will boot into the desktop.

NOTE: this is only a temporary fix so when successfully booted just update your drivers and you'll be good to go. :)

GNUoob
May 12th, 2011, 08:02 PM
The system statistics are...

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=SB&os=&category=&moid=155145&rpn=PS500U&modelFilter=5005-S507&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663

From link...
NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go, 32MB DDR video memory

GNUoob
May 13th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I assume you have ATi Graphics card,if so then just go to the Grub2 menu scroll down to the line linux \boot and press end
Next press space and write radeon.modeset=0 (for nVidia write nomodeset)
and then press ctrl+x.Hopefully it will boot into the desktop.

NOTE: this is only a temporary fix so when successfully booted just update your drivers and you'll be good to go. :)

1) No ATI graphics

2) The GUI never loads as seen in the video I attached so I am unable to do any editing.

Thanks anyway.

lnebrown
May 17th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Hello!

I'm having the same problem, I think, but with my upgrade to 11.04. It boots to a white screen with some odd gibberish text. It appears that this gibberish text is a terminal, as i believe i can "blindly" give my username, password and issue some commands like "sudo reboot".

Here is a link to my motherboard/video part:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131483R

Onboard video is NVIDIA GeForce4 MX, and it gave me some trouble with my previous upgrade to 10.10, but nothing like this.

Help! Thanks!

GNUoob
May 17th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I was/have been able to install 8.04 but attempting to upgrade to 10+ series produces the white screen. I have since dumped the upgrade and re-installed it back to 8.04.

So far I have not been able to find any answers while googling

GNUoob
June 4th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Just checking back to see if anyone else might have had an idea/answer

:/

GNUoob
June 21st, 2011, 07:29 PM
checking back

GNUoob
August 3rd, 2011, 09:41 PM
No additional answers :(

gordintoronto
August 4th, 2011, 02:39 AM
1) No ATI graphics

2) The GUI never loads as seen in the video I attached so I am unable to do any editing.

Thanks anyway.

The suggestion was to make the changes before the GUI loads, at the GRUB stage. That's the menu which asks what you want to run.

GNUoob
September 7th, 2011, 09:53 PM
The suggestion was to make the changes before the GUI loads, at the GRUB stage. That's the menu which asks what you want to run.

Hi, I recorded a video and attached it. I never have the chance to change that as seen in the video.

GNUoob
May 2nd, 2012, 03:31 PM
I will try to install 12.04 and see if that release fixes the issue.