PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where is this so-called Unity for 11.04?

Jetro
May 9th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I downloaded the 11.04 beta when it was available and tried it. It looked exactly like 10.10 and behaved just as such.

Then, a few days ago, I downloaded the final version and did the same thing. It looks just like 10.10. I don't see the Unity everyone's talking about, or a different organistation of items/docks/toolbars etc. Gnome is running, not 'Unity'.

I use a USB disk for this.

So, what's going on? :confused:

Quackers
May 9th, 2011, 08:00 PM
You can install unity 2D if you don't have 3D graphics drivers installed.
Alternatively if you install the proprietary drivers for your graphics card (if any are available) you should get the full unity experience :-)

Jetro
May 9th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Aha, I never dreamt of that Unity was NOT standard... kind of weird, with all the attention it has gotten! If people rip on Unity, they seemingly just can use Gnome instead. I don't see why such negative people choose to install it at all. :neutral:
Thanks! ;)

Joe of loath
May 9th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Unity is standard, but only if your graphics card is up to scratch. Otherwise it defaults to ye-olde Gnome :p

Jetro
May 9th, 2011, 08:45 PM
I see. Not one computer I've tried (3) have graphic cards up to scratch, but then again, they're not from 2011 and Ubuntu hates everything that's older.

Quackers
May 9th, 2011, 08:49 PM
The graphics cards may all be "up to scratch" but they won't be working fully until their drivers are installed.
Try running "Additional Drivers" and see what turns up :-)

My graphics card is at least 4 years old and Natty works fine with it :-)

jerome1232
May 9th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I'm getting an eye twitch, Unity is still gnome.

Okay my eye stopped twitching, other than that +1 to the info above.

Particularly nvidia cards will need properitary drivers to run Unity

Joe of loath
May 9th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Unity runs on my media centre perfectly, and that's 6 years old and has an integrated Intel GPU.

So, drivers.

tswicegood
May 10th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Make sure if you're using Virtual Box that you install Guest Additions as you need them for the 3D acceleration needed for Unity.