PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity: Popout Applets?

rtobyr
May 9th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I am trying *really* hard to like Unity. Already I'm disappointed that I can't move it to the right edge of the screen. My peripheral vision is stronger on the left, so the Launcher is distracting there. I know that people will say that it'll pop out when I try to use scroll bars. I have auto-hide disabled, so no it won't.

Now I'm trying to figure out how (or if) I can get some sort of pop-out functionality. Since Canonical wants to shove a more OSX-ish experience down my throat, I'd like to be able put a folder into the Launcher, and have it pop-out the contents of the folder, with an option to open that folder in Nautilus. Can this be done?

Paddy Landau
May 9th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I believe you can move the launcher. I haven't done it, but I did read about it. You might have to install compizconfig-settings-manager (apt:compizconfig-settings-manager).

Regarding the pop-out functionality, that has been suggested. The thing is that Unity is an incomplete project, being a non-LTS version. I suspect (hope) that these types of ideas will be implemented in later versions.

For now, I'm sticking to LTS. It has served me well in the past.

rtobyr
May 9th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Thanks. I already have the Compiz Settings Manager. That's how I turned off auto-hide. It's not move-able from there.