PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] No icons in Dash

vaibhav
May 9th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Yesterday I upgraded from Lucid to Natty. I'm having this issue where I don't see any icons in the Dash menu. There are only "Browse the Web", "View Photos", "Check Email" & "Listen to Music" icons which work correctly.
But on clicking "Media Apps", "Internet Apps", "More Apps" and "Find Files", nothing happens.
Search also doesn't work, e.g. typing "calc", I expect the "Calculator" app icon to show up, but doesn't happen.

How do I resolve this?

Thanks.

silvagroup
May 11th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I have the same problem I see there have been many views and no response with a remedy.
I am thinking probably something to do with video driver.
I have a late model nvidia, how about you?

SpaceMaster
May 11th, 2011, 05:14 PM
I'm having the same problem on my desktop, a massive Dell Precision.

late model NVidia GeForce card. Tried running the version 173 (recommended) driver (which is what is running and working on my laptop), but all that does is make my menus and window borders vanish.

To top it off, even when I install the proprietary drivers, I still don't get 3-D acceleration. In fact, even flash plug-ins for web browsers (Abobe for both Chrome and Firefox) run choppily, and when I full-screen them it starts what should be the bottom at the middle of the screen.

The system does seem to run marginally better in Gnome, but I have no 2-D or 3-D acceleration at that point.

Compounding on all of this, X-server crashes after I resume from a Suspend state. And by crashes, I mean my screen fills with colorful space-tartans from Cosmic Celts traveling back in time to warn me not to ever hit that button to upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04 (a few days too late, sadly).

vaibhav
May 11th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Mine is Intel onboard. It's two year old laptop.
I don't have other graphics problems: 3D works correctly. It's just the Dash menu that is having problems.

mc4man
May 11th, 2011, 07:41 PM
If the "Media Apps", "Internet Apps", "More Apps" and "Find Files" and search don't work than make sure that these packages are installed
unity-place-applications
unity-place-files

Frogs Hair
May 11th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I'm having the same problem on my desktop, a massive Dell Precision.

late model NVidia GeForce card. Tried running the version 173 (recommended) driver (which is what is running and working on my laptop), but all that does is make my menus and window borders vanish.

To top it off, even when I install the proprietary drivers, I still don't get 3-D acceleration. In fact, even flash plug-ins for web browsers (Abobe for both Chrome and Firefox) run choppily, and when I full-screen them it starts what should be the bottom at the middle of the screen.

The system does seem to run marginally better in Gnome, but I have no 2-D or 3-D acceleration at that point.

Compounding on all of this, X-server crashes after I resume from a Suspend state. And by crashes, I mean my screen fills with colorful space-tartans from Cosmic Celts traveling back in time to warn me not to ever hit that button to upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04 (a few days too late, sadly).

I use an 8400 GS and though the 173 driver is offered so is the Nvidia current 270 .41 . I installed the 173 driver by mistake once and It does not work , even with my 8 series card . I had the same choppy video . when I realized my mistake and installed the Nvidia current every thing woks fine.

vaibhav
May 11th, 2011, 09:49 PM
If the "Media Apps", "Internet Apps", "More Apps" and "Find Files" and search don't work than make sure that these packages are installed
unity-place-applications
unity-place-files
Thanks! That worked.