PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Installing Xubuntu 11.04 on usb

A-algen
May 9th, 2011, 02:11 PM
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }a:link { }p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }a:link { } Hi i have some problems whit my eeepc it is a old one white a 3.7 gb ssd system disk and xubuntu 8 hardy installed on it. It has swap partition to on 500 mb so that lives 3.2 gb for the system. I haven't updated it in a long time and now when wont to updating the dist it takes 1.6 gb in free disk space fore all the packages and I cant get al that free disk space. So I thought that it was time to re-install it but usb-creator for hardy was not to be found whit apt-get or synaptic my system was to old. After some time of searching I found usb-creator for hardy and it works perfect it copy's al the files but it never makes the usb bootable so my bios cant detect it and I have tried 30 times but its the same error every time. So I tried usb-imagewriter but I cant find it to hardy so it was a dead end. Then I tried sudo dd if=/path/to/downloaded.img of=/dev/devicenode bs=1M it works as god as usb creator it copy's all the files right but it is not bootable. So I ask t a friend ho ones gave me a working debian net-install usb made whit dd hi sad that there is a file that makes the dd usb bootable and the command was cat /path/to/file > /dev/sdx. The file was suppose to be uploaded on ubuntu forum but I cant find it and my friend doesn't have it on his computer any more so hi cant help. I came a cross some linux forum that it was mention that the iso was made for cd and dd wrights it in a cd´s fil system ISO 9660 and that if you wane make a linux usb you should use an iso made for usb that would run in ext3. I posted tis thread not becos i thing tha i´m completly out of options but becos it is geting very hard and haow hard can it bi to install xubunut 11.04 on a stupid usb. I will tri to open it whit grub and som other stuff but if som one ha an esyer way out of dis i woud love to hear it. Sorry for my crappy english im moore use to wright in swedish :) (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=333&daysprune=-1&order=asc&sort=title)

mörgæs
May 9th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Hi, welcome to the fora.

Try creating the USB stick with Unetbootin.

dajare
October 15th, 2011, 09:08 AM
@mörgæs - Thanks for this pointer to Unetbootin - it's what I needed to know, too! The USB startup-creator on my old Ubuntu Jaunty couldn't "find" the Xubuntu 11.10 .iso I had downloaded, but Unetbootin did the trick. :)

mörgæs
October 15th, 2011, 02:31 PM
You are welcome.

Since 9.04 the USB startup creator has improved quite a bit, but if it still gives trouble you know the solution.