PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with upgrading to 11.04

mito551
May 9th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I'm much of a newbie to Linux, I don't know what can be done in my case.

I was upgrading from 10.10 to 11.04 with terminal. When terminal asked about mime.types (it asks what to do with it) I chose showing me the differences between the new and the old versions. and then I couldn't get out from the "showing differences menu"! so, I shut down the terminal. and now I'm afraid to reboot the computer. can someone possibly say, what i am to do next
is it okay to reboot my computer. or do i have to do smth first?:confused:

Oh, and i almost forgot, when i sudo do-release-upgrade i says that i have latest version and doesn't do anything. update manager isn't showing up neither

mikewhatever
May 9th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I don't know if rebooting at this stage is safe or not, but it seems that there isn't a second option. Keep an Ubuntu livd CD ready to get access to your files, in case the computer refuses to boot.

mito551
May 9th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I've already thought about that, but still... well, alright i'll try rebooting it... :???:

mito551
May 9th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Ok, rebooting was better idea, than sitting and waiting for smth. I got the "The disc drive for / is not ready yet or not present" error, then found fix on the internet (using "mount -o remount, rw /" in manual recovery, if somebody asks). Next, I tried to start configuring dpkg and it continued upgrading ubuntu. And asked about mime again)))
Reboot from manual recovery aaaaaaand.... it gave me only a shell! No X! What I am supposed to do know?

mito551
May 9th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Ok, I got some logs and through them I managed to know that problem concerns my nvidia video card and it's driver. After it tried about dozen of ways booting rebooting. Nothing did help. So, desperately I installed prboom from recovery console. With installing prboom it also installed drivers for my video card. A bit ridiculous, isn't it? But now it works! Thanks to the one that responded, you helped me, really. Even thought you did nothing, but responded. Thanks

mikewhatever
May 9th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for the update.