PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop Picture?

Esteem
May 9th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Is it possible to change desktop picture on every desktop I have? ^_^
With regards, David

Copper Bezel
May 9th, 2011, 08:27 AM
There's a Compiz plugin for this, but it's a bit buggy, at least in 10.10; I haven't upgraded, but under a normal Gnome session, I have to switch to a VT and back to get the wallpaper to initialize properly.

It also requires turning off the Nautilus desktop through gconf-editor, which means that you won't have desktop icons, although you can get the folderview screenlet or something like it to get back some of this functionality.

If you still want to try it: In CompizConfig Settings Manager, activate and configure the Wallpaper plugin. In gconf-editor, navigate to apps > nautilus > preferences and untick the key "show_desktop". You might also need to untick all of the items under nautilus > desktop.

I use it, and I find it helpful for keeping my tasks organized and feeling a little less confined in some sense, but I also don't use an ordinary Gnome session (making it possible to fix the wallpaper initializing bug) and haven't used desktop icons for some time (preferring just to keep a Thunar window up for whatever I'm working with.)

Esteem
May 9th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Thanks for your help, it's useful, but I am a newb on ubuntu :) I'll try it someday, when I get used to new OS :))
(Now I just though there's some kinky program that will do it for me :))

Copper Bezel
May 9th, 2011, 12:21 PM
That's fair. = ) Yeah, KDE does this as a built-in feature, but Gnome makes you work for it a little, which is unfortunate.