View Full Version : [all variants] Best Laptop to buy (with graphic acceleration)

May 9th, 2011, 04:03 AM
I'm looking to buy a new laptop (with a good GPU at least 1GB dedicated) and use it with ubuntu.
I have read about the troubles with new hardwares and switching between graphic cards.

1) I understood that I should avoid Nvidia Optimus. But what about the AMD Radeon cards? I have read about problems in switching, but are they generally supported? Are there any good configurations with this card that work without problems?

2) It seems that most of i7 cpu don't support graphic card switching so there is only one card.
Apparently some Radeon cards are working good with these laptops, what about Nvidia?

3)Any suggestions on a good laptop to buy?
500+GB HDD

I'm currently looking at the Asus K52JT or the Dell Vostro 3550 since they seem to be quite portable as well.

May 9th, 2011, 06:50 AM
newest Radeons have issues, a bit older models should be fine. maybe drivers are not as good as nVidia, but i am to understand that nVidia Linux drivers in this segment actualyl dont' exists so it owuld be hard to make comparison.

Anyway they have both Dells and HP with such GPU (1GB) that come with linux preloaded. They are not i7 though.... but still if the same card work on thos echances is it works on the config with i7 (usually comes with Win7 preloaded).

i think with notebook there would be more important issues to look at if they work such as battery time, Fn keys, any other keys, thumb reader if any...