PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] unity + mythtv (or "how to hide unity launcher"

az_s_za
May 9th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Just moved to Ubuntu 11.04 with unity and only have one problem...

For most of my desktop needs I prefer to have the Unity Launcher up all the time (fullscreen apps don't cover it), and have set this option with ccsm.

However, when I watch mythtv, it is also under the launcher (and the top panel as well). How can I force mythtv to cover the launcher?
What I really need is a keyboard shortcut to hide the launcher, but the only shortcut is for "show launcher". (I guess the devs assumed everyone would want it hidden by default).

This, by the way is not my usual way for viewing mythtv. I have a projector attached to the desktop PC and it doesn't get a Unity Launcher by default (in Twinview), so no probs. However, occasionally I want to watch something on my computer screen, and that is when this issue arises.

rommel74
May 10th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Try installing the compizconfig-settings-manager, launch the app and look for the "workarounds" section in the utility.
Select the Legacy Fullscreen workaround option.
This has fixed the issue for me.

az_s_za
May 10th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Thanks, that's not bad, but still not perfect...

When I enable that workaround, I can indeed view mythtv in fullscreen. The only problem is that I can't do anything else until I close it. That is, I cannot get the launcher back (or even use ALT+F2) to use other programs.

So for now, I'll just run mythtv with the "-geometry" option to pull it to the right of the Unity Launcher. If I want to concentrate fully on what I'm watching, then I can use the projector.