PDA

View Full Version : What was the first Linux distribution?

slashwannabe94
May 9th, 2011, 01:45 AM
Been researching into the origins of Linux and the first Linux distribution, but cannot seem to find a reliable source. I understand the Linux kernel was made in 1991 by Linus Torvalds and was about 10,000 lines of code.

But besides that does anyone know the answer to my first question?

Thanks,
SlashWannabe94

NormanFLinux
May 9th, 2011, 02:00 AM
MCC or Interim Linux was the first distribution. Back in those days, before KDE and GNOME, Linux was entirely CLI driven. Just a black screen with the prompt like in the present terminal.

slashwannabe94
May 9th, 2011, 02:39 AM
MCC or Interim Linux was the first distribution. Back in those days, before KDE and GNOME, Linux was entirely CLI driven. Just a black screen with the prompt like in the present terminal.

Can it still be downloaded? I would love to see it haha :)

Lucradia
May 9th, 2011, 02:50 AM
Can it still be downloaded? I would love to see it haha :)

ftp://ftp.mcc.ac.uk/pub/linux/mcc-interim/

Spice Weasel
May 9th, 2011, 10:51 AM

X11 was released in 1987...

HappinessNow
May 9th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Ubuntu 4.10 Warty Warthog

BrokenKingpin
May 9th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Ubuntu 4.10 Warty Warthog
The question was what was the first distro, not your first distro.

yetiman64
May 9th, 2011, 01:37 PM
MCC gets the gold. ~very early '92 ?
TAMU gets the silver.
SLS gets the bronze.

Think thats about right. Didn't first start myself 'till about Red Hat 7 about 2001 or 2002.

Ubuntu 4.10 Warty Warthog :D

Edit: for OP, this link may be of interest to you, http://futurist.se/gldt/, gnu linux distribution timeline.

Sean Moran
May 9th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Been researching into the origins of Linux and the first Linux distribution, but cannot seem to find a reliable source. I understand the Linux kernel was made in 1991 by Linus Torvalds and was about 10,000 lines of code.

But besides that does anyone know the answer to my first question?

Thanks,
SlashWannabe94
I don't pretend it was the first, buit for historical purposes, early versions of Slackware might be worth looking into. Before Redhat and Debian became popular as far as I knew back then in the late '90s. I don't mean to add a red herring, but I always remember Slackware was the veteran of Linux distros when Debian was still only available as source code.

yetiman64
May 9th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I don't pretend it was the first, buit for historical purposes, early versions of Slackware might be worth looking into. Before Redhat and Debian became popular as far as I knew back then in the late '90s. I don't mean to add a red herring, but I always remember Slackware was the veteran of Linux distros when Debian was still only available as source code.

Slackware is a branching of SLS, check the link in the post above you. :)

matt_symes
May 9th, 2011, 02:06 PM
[/URL][URL]http://futurist.se/gldt/ (http://futurist.se/gldt/), gnu linux distribution timeline.

Thanks yetiman64. I had lost that link.

yetiman64
May 9th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks yetiman64. I had lost that link.

I'm just lucky I keep a copy of an older file here 10.? of it (now 11.4), had to google the name to get the link. You're welcome matt_symes :)

Edit: Re post 13 you're welcome Sean Moran :-)

Sean Moran
May 9th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Slackware is a branching of SLS, check the link in the post above you. :)
Thank you.