PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity, I will try it again at 11.10

yetanothersteve
May 9th, 2011, 12:58 AM
My biggest gripe is with the dock or launcher.

My expectations:

Folders should be able to be added to the dock.
Shell scripts should be able to be added to the dock.
Right clicking a dock icon should give you the option to change the icon.
You should be able to drag and drop items to and from the dock.

The search was a bit disconcerting at first for someone who has used Linux since 1999 and was content with both gnome 2 and predecessors and the K-Desktop from pre-Novell SuSE. I think I could get used to the concept of searching for the application needed instead of memorizing or hunting for where the application is in a menu, sub-menu, and location system. The search returns big icon displays of what was found but I like little icon lists.

I felt that the desktop was fighting me and getting in my way.

If I still dislike Unity at 11.10 and gnome classic is gone, then I may end up switching to XFCE, which I prefer on the Red Hat derivative virtual machines that I use for hosting J2EE containers.

teachop
May 9th, 2011, 01:27 AM
My biggest gripe is with the dock or launcher
If you are willing to edit .desktop files and add quicklists, you can work around the first three. Hopefully it will be a nicer configuration interface soon.

yetanothersteve
May 9th, 2011, 03:58 AM
I did take a look at editing .desktop files and successfully changed the icon for VirtualBox after keeping it in the launcher.

No luck changing the icon from the default spring for QBrew.

And as far as editing .desktop and config files to get something not supported by the default config, that really raises the question of whether Unity really should have been the default for 11.04.