PDA

View Full Version : Other websites on your shared webserver. Hilarious.

Retlol
May 9th, 2011, 12:56 AM
I'm making a website for a club I'm a member of and decided to take a look what other websites are on the server.

I'm thinking I'm to much of a perfectionist when I see what kind of crap is out there.

I've been spending 2 weeks hacking wordpress, the theme and the plugins/widgets. But it seems a random static html page with bright yellow background and the comic sans font type is all you need. :p

It's a new server from the host (i'm guessing) and all the sites on it are a few weeks old at most. Every single one of the 28 sites on the server is crap. Crap code, crap design. All look dated to 1995 style dated.

4 websites are from webdesigners. Hilarious. I can't imagine they'll ever get any work offers, ever.

2 german "lol vid" collection sites. Those were fun.

One website from a small town in Eastern Europe somewhere.

1 hotel, 2 personal websites and a few small project sites. Some sites were parked and some I had no idea what they were (that's always a good sign).

What sites are on your shared server?

Irihapeti
May 9th, 2011, 03:27 AM
it seems a random static html page with bright yellow background and the comic sans font type is all you need. :p

Aaarghh! It's giving me a headache just thinking about it.

madjr
May 9th, 2011, 03:31 AM
how do you know which other websites are on your server?

NMFTM
May 9th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Every single one of the 28 sites on the server is crap. Crap code, crap design. All look dated to 1995 style dated.
Better that than one made with Flash.

Retlol
May 9th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Better that than one made with Flash.

True.

how do you know which other websites are on your server?

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/web-sites-on-web-server/

satanselbow
May 9th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I'm too sensitive to even contemplate trying to find out... at a guess a fair few FrontPage efforts :popcorn:

... oh no! wait a minute! they are my ones :o

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
May 9th, 2011, 12:54 PM
>2011
>still using shared servers

Just switch to a virtual server host already. Same cost, root access, no headaches.

satanselbow
May 9th, 2011, 01:05 PM
>2011

Just switch to a virtual server host already. Same cost, root access, no headaches.

VPS have their place but for general run of the mill sites (which are most devs bread and butter) it is still much easier to cPanel shared than admin VPS - horses for courses ;)

They do now come in about about the same ppm but require much more admin; Which = Time. Which = Money ;)

Retlol
May 9th, 2011, 02:50 PM
>2011

What headaches? Everything works.

I pay 30 bucks a year for the hosting and domain ("unlimited" traffic and space).

Website is fast.

3rdalbum
May 9th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I got given access to a shared web server running Ubuntu (I can't remember why, I think it was something to do with the UbuntuOS podcast.) I found that the server's administrator had put their whole music collection on that computer, so I was able to download a couple of albums and songs I wanted. But mostly the person didn't have my tastes in music, so I didn't leech too much bandwidth from them.

Dry Lips
May 9th, 2011, 03:37 PM
>2011

What's the difference between a virtual server host and shared servers?

Johnsie
May 9th, 2011, 04:35 PM
I used to run a blog host. We had quite alot of people signing up just to post spam links. Some were bots, some were actual people. Being an enemy of captcha codes I just decided to stop random people from being able to sign up. Since then everything has been good. I used to give away free webspace on my server, but really in this day and age it's not very sensible to let strangers access your servers unless you totally lock them down and have time to check what people are uploading.