PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] lock up problems

May 8th, 2011, 11:43 PM
I hope this is the correct forum for this issue. I have a laptop, currently running 11.04, hardware does not support 3d environment. however this is the issue. I was upgrading it from 10.10 to 11.04 the other day, it went through, but one of the main upgrades, the package could not install for some strange reason, and there was another package that at the beginning had some issues, but managed to install, the upgrade finished, and I had to scan for broken packages to get the 4 packages that did not install, installed. as far as I could tell at the time it worked fine. However today, I was running a sound recorder program, just in idle mode, waiting for the church service to begin, at the ready to record the service. while the screen saver was on, for a unknown amount of time, the system locked up, completely freezing the screen on the stopped image of the screen saver. I had to hold down the power button to shut the machine off. I was in the process of recording the service at church , while monitoring system information, when I noticed that the computer locked up again. I am assuming this has something to do with a damaged package somewhere in the installation/upgrade of the OS. I was wondering if I were to insert the 11.04 cd, and do a upgrade install, which would move and protect the data files on the computer, and just overinstall the OS, if I am looking at it correctly, would that fix the issue, or possibly cause other problems, Or should I just backup the data files, and do a clean wipe and install of the OS from the cd. any thoughts on this matter would be helpful.

May 12th, 2011, 02:51 PM
This issue may have been fixed. I was able to do the same process and was able to record over 1 hour of audio, without it locking up. will be testing again later on tonight, but it may have fixed itself with a round of recent updates.