PDA

View Full Version : Kernel ?

ThePainter
March 1st, 2005, 10:02 AM
Hi,
I did an upgrade all in synaptic and it gave me a newer kernel, I now have both in my grub menu.
2.6.8.1 - 5 - 386
2.6.8.1 - 3 - 386

I have found a problem with the newer one, it wont allow me to play DVD's or even open .vob files as video files from one of my disc drives ?

I dont have any problems with the old kernel so Ive set up my grub menu to boot into the old one as default.

I was wondering if there is a way to uninstall the newer one becaause it doesnt show up in synaptic ?

Thanks for any help :razz:

rudiz
March 4th, 2005, 01:24 AM
Go to Synaptic and remove the one u want to remoe.

> sudo synaptic

ThePainter
March 4th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Hi,
Well that sounds all well and good but when I go to synaptic and search for "kernel" I find a long list but none of them are marked as installed ?
I looked under "Ubuntu" and "VM" but nothing there about kernels either ?

So what are they listed under ?

ThePainter
March 4th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Hi,
Ive just found "Linux restricted modules" they have a number next to them that looks like the kernel number, is this them ?

And Ive found a "Linux restricted modules" for 686 that says its for a pention 4 which is what Ive got, should I install this, will it work better for me ?

I tried to uninstall that kernel I didnt want but its threatening to remove loads of other things including "Linux 386" Whats this all about ?