PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04 not enough disk space

dmobbs01
May 8th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I attempted to upgrade to 11.04 but I get an error message that says I do not have enough disk space. I am dual booting ubuntu from an external hard drive. How do I alter my partition size to allow for the upgrade?

zvacet
May 8th, 2011, 11:43 PM
You probably made just one partition on your external HD,and you fill it with all sort of data (movies,music and I donī know what else) so you donīt have space for upgrade.Type in terminal

sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get autoclean

If that doesnīt give you enough space to do upgrade then move some of your files somewhere else and then delete them from your external drive.Then try to upgrade.

dmobbs01
May 9th, 2011, 01:54 AM
I uploaded a picture of the layout of my external. I need to make the 10 GB partition larger, up to about 15 GB. I would like to do this by making the Derek External partition smaller. However it does not give me the option to make the 10GB any larger. This is the partition that the error message is saying does not have enough room. I have checked and the only files on this partition are system files. Thanks

zvacet
May 9th, 2011, 09:00 AM
You can do that but you will have to delete swap and 500MB partition first.What do you have on that small partition?What is on 49GB partition?Ity will be easier to make that one smaller and extend partition you want to that empty space.Do it with Ubuntu live CD with program called gparted,or download gparted live cd. (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/)CAn you post me output of

sudo fdisk -l

and if you want screen-shot of gparted so I can see how partitions are really position on your HD.

dmobbs01
May 10th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Using gparted I was able to shrink the 49GB partition and extend the 10GB into the new space. Thanks for all of your help.