PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade failed with fsck problem

drawkward
May 8th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Hello,

I have a problem. I have system Ubuntu 10.10 with an 80gb HD with my OS on it (mounted /)and 500 GB storage (/home/). For a while now on each boot it has run a disk check on / saying there are errors. I can either fix these or - as I have been doing recently - hitting ignore with no apparent issues. Today I decided to upgrade to 11.04, during the downloading of the packages my computer froze and I had to restart. I restarted the upgrade process and it seemed to resume from where it had left off, great, I thought.

Then I got the message that the upgrade had failed and the system was probably in an unuseable state, I backed up a couple of things which I hadn't backed up before and restarted to see what would happen. At boot it said it couldnt find /. Panic. I went into the maintanence shell and ran fsck which seemed to fix the disk error, but I still cannot boot into anything, or see any files from the shell.

I really don't want to have to reinstall completely or buy a new HD, although I would do that if necessary. Obviously I want to get the upgrade to work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Anything would be very gratefully received,

Jake