PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Fresh 11.04 instal problem

MadMonkey1966
May 8th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I did have a dual boot on my PC (XP & 11.04). I had problems originally upgrading from Maverick to Natty, as the pc is quite old, and the hardware was not totally compatible. After a few posts here a few weeks go, with help it got working ok, though there were still few graphic issues.

Anyway, yesterday i decided to get rid of my dual boot (as i have XP running on my spare pc) and instal a clean 11.04 on here on its own.

I burnt the .ISO and installed, when it did its hardware check, it said about the issues i knew about and told me to select Ubuntu Classic (which i have done).

Now when i log in the next screen (desktop) is just about blank, no top or bottom bars showing....nothing. IF i move the cursor about, i can get the odd piece of bar , and odd selection pop-up and then go again, but basically it does nothing.

I have to switch of at the base unit as i can not even get the off switch (top right) to stay alight long enough for me to click on.

Any help would be VERY grateful :confused:

mörgæs
May 8th, 2011, 09:51 PM
The jump from 10.10 to 11.04 is IMHO the biggest in the history of Ubuntu, and I have been around since release 5.10. My advice is that you let 11.04 rest for at least a couple of months and stick to 10.10.

Especially if you have an Nvidia screen card, 10.10 is the best choice.

MadMonkey1966
May 8th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Thanks for that :) I was actually thinking about putting 10.10 back on.

I just tried something else, i changed from Ubuntu Classic to Ubuntu (no effects) and everything is fine. The Desktop and Graphics are as clear as a bell (better than they were when i had 11.04 as dual boot).

I know its not Natty how it should be, but hopefully as more changes/upgrades are released it will be easier to sort.

Do you think i will be ok like this, all seems fine right now, or is there something lurking to jump and stitch me up lol

mörgæs
May 8th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Do you think i will be ok like this, all seems fine right now, or is there something lurking to jump and stitch me up

Good, I did not expect this. Since this is a clean install and not an upgrade, I would say that it is more than likely that you have a perfectly solid system now. Not everyone is as lucky as you with 11.04.

MadMonkey1966
May 8th, 2011, 10:46 PM
That is a relief....it is very fast, and have had no problems so far.

Thanks for you help :)

mörgæs
May 8th, 2011, 11:17 PM
You are welcome. Enjoy.