PDA

View Full Version : What internet browser are you using and why?

rich52x
May 8th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Simple question :) Atm I'm using Firefox 6.0a1 (2011-05-08 ), and it is very, very fast.

kitsuneclem
May 8th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Simple question :) Atm I'm using Firefox 6.0a1 (2011-05-08), and it is very, very fast.
fire fox as well

frankbooth
May 8th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Chromium

Fast
Secure
Clean UI
Has all the addons I need

dniMretsaM
May 8th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Firefox 4. Fast, lot's of add-ons, and good stability. I've used IE (7 or 8) which is just yuck. I also used Chromium when FF was acting up, and I don't like it much. I can't figure out why so many people use it.

rich52x
May 8th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I like chromium as well, lots of screen space, didn't really use Firefox until 4

el_koraco
May 8th, 2011, 08:54 PM
FF nightly, Chrome unstable. Midori at times.

TeoBigusGeekus
May 8th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Opera for the last 5 or 6 years.

wojox
May 8th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I just use wget. Can't beat it. :P

mikewhatever
May 8th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Firefox. I like it. ;)

cipherboy_loc
May 8th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Same as OP on Gentoo. FireFox on Ubuntu doesn't want to update (So I am stuck with a slightly dated nightly build).

Cipherboy

Version Dependency
May 8th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Firefox 4...although I have Midori installed and occasionally give it a go. It's a nice alternative.

kaldor
May 8th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Ubuntu:

- Chromium daily builds (13)
- Firefox 4.0.1

Scientific:

- Aurora (Firefox 5.x daily builds)

OS X:

- Chromium daily

~~~

I hate stable browsers. It gets boring without being able to log in to update and say "ooo this is cool!" when a new feature gets rolled in. Ubuntu is my main OS, so I use Firefox 4 as my backup browser for whenever Chromium decides to bug out.

Quadunit404
May 8th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Opera. It's the only browser that satisfies my needs while being actually secure at the same time. Been using it since 2008, so so far... 3 years.

jerenept
May 8th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Simple question :) Atm I'm using Firefox 6.0a1 (2011-05-08 ), and it is very, very fast.

Firefox 5 (Aurora) exists. Firefox 6 does not.

Currently, I use Firefox 4, Dillo, Opera and Chromium. W3M sometimes.

el_koraco
May 8th, 2011, 10:21 PM

They have three channels now, modeled after Chrome.

Johnsie
May 8th, 2011, 10:27 PM
FF4 on Windows XP.

Spice Weasel
May 8th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Firefox. Because I like it.

speedwell68
May 8th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Firefox 4, it is as quick as Chromium, very stable and by far the most customisable and usable browser out there at the moment.

YuiDaoren
May 8th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Firefox, because I'm used to it and the bloatyness hasn't had a noticeable effect just yet. Should that happen (and I'm not really expecting it to) I'll probably use Chromium.

Sometimes I trot out Midori when I want to use a more straightforward render engine to look at something.

XubuRoxMySox
May 8th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Midori sometimes for simplicity and speed.

Firefox ordinarily, but I hit a snag when testing Natty that prevented Firefox and Thunderbird from sharing links. Easily fixed, but a good excuse to revisit an old favorite I used to use in Windows: Seamonkey! Much like Firefox but surprisingly faster!

-Robin

dinamic1
May 8th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Firefox 6

:KS

mikewhatever
May 8th, 2011, 11:22 PM

Not saying you should try it, but just in case, here it is:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/firefox-6.0a1.en-US.linux-i686.tar.bz2

BlacqWolf
May 8th, 2011, 11:55 PM
I use Firefox on Linux, IE on Windows. I like IE because it's fast, secure and the internal performance is great. But I would never use Firefox on Windows because it has very little security and network reliability, and keeps messing up the layout of pages. For Linux, I use Firefox because it runs alright and there really isn't a better browser available for Linux.

aldais
May 9th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Firefox 4,
I always love firefox for all its features and addons. Although admittedly, it's rather taxing on my mediocre netbook. For quick browsing, like checking up stuff on a website, I have chromium ready.

Frogs Hair
May 9th, 2011, 12:48 AM
FF Nightly 6 = Fast
Opera = Almost as Fast + Features & Great Skins
Currently have Opera open.

Retlol
May 9th, 2011, 01:13 AM
What's an internet browser?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4MwTvtyrUQ

For fun :p

--------------

FF4. Is fast, has the better plugins and I like the way Gecko displays pages better than Webkit.

Warpnow
May 9th, 2011, 01:16 AM
chromium

fast
secure
clean ui
has all the addons i need

+1

Retlol
May 9th, 2011, 01:18 AM
Chromium

Fast
Secure
Clean UI

Clean as in looks out of place on every OS on the market?

:p

TheNessus
May 9th, 2011, 01:21 AM
All of them.

Firefox 4 - to check it out mainly. I use it mostly for flash video, seems to work best with it (at least on 64 bit).

Chromium daily - my main browser, for the speed and nice gui.

Opera 11 - for when I need security and correct html that was designed for IE. meaning bank or university websites. Sometimes its my main, but when the occasional glitches and slowness annoys I revert to Chromium.

Midori - just to check it out, don't use it at all.

TheNessus
May 9th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Clean as in looks out of place on every OS on the market?

:p

Does this look out of place?

http://i.imgur.com/5vHxjl.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/5vHxj.png)

kaldor
May 9th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Does this look out of place?

http://i.imgur.com/5vHxjl.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/5vHxj.png)

Yeah, it looks flawlessly integrated on OS X as well.

Edit:

I use Firefox on Linux, IE on Windows. I like IE because it's fast, secure and the internal performance is great. But I would never use Firefox on Windows because it has very little security and network reliability, and keeps messing up the layout of pages. For Linux, I use Firefox because it runs alright and there really isn't a better browser available for Linux.

Honestly? IE is the one that doesn't follow web standards and has security issues.

Retlol
May 9th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Someone found the theme, oe noes, my argument doesn't count anymore.

Still doesn't use the correct window borders, you can match try to it up or hide it Unity style, still looks off for 99% of the users.

TheNessus
May 9th, 2011, 02:08 AM
Someone found the theme, oe noes, my argument doesn't count anymore.

Still doesn't use the correct window borders, you can match try to it up or hide it Unity style, still looks off for 99% of the users.
So your problem with it is that it doesn't come with a good theme?

are you against customization or something? Why do you use linux?

DoFlooterMoose
May 9th, 2011, 02:32 AM

I downloaded the tar.bz file but how do Install it? sorry for my ignorance. I am still learning this stuff.

DoFlooterMoose
May 9th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Oh... and to answer the question. I am using FF 4.0.1. Few tweaks here and there and its running faster than Chrome :D. I've been using FF for about 3 years now. Dont really care for the other browsers. Specially IE. Even when I was running Windows 7 I used FF.

radar920
May 9th, 2011, 02:54 AM
My desktop is dual boot win7/ubuntu 11.04: Chrome on both
laptop lubuntu 11.04: Chromium.

cgroza
May 9th, 2011, 03:05 AM
I downloaded the tar.bz file but how do Install it? sorry for my ignorance. I am still learning this stuff.
Extract it. Cd to the extracted folder.
Do:

./configure
make
make install

This is the standard way to compile any source code on linux (well, most of them.).

cgroza
May 9th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Are you sarcastic?

aaaantoine
May 9th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Firefox... Because it works for me.

Melophonic
May 9th, 2011, 03:59 AM
Google Chrome. It is simple, easy to configure, has it's nice amount of extensions and themes, and overall does everything I want it to do.

krapp
May 9th, 2011, 04:14 AM
Opera (closed source!) for websites I frequent and trust and which I don't feel like I have to shield myself from with privacy measures.

Firefox (Iceweasel on Debian) for browsing the unknown . . . because of Ghostery + Noscript + Better Privacy + AdBlock Plus.

Spr0k3t
May 9th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Firefox.

Fast
Secure
Clean UI

nrundy
May 9th, 2011, 04:27 AM
I have tried out Internet Explorer, Safari, Opera, Firefox, Chromium, and Chrome. Of these six, the two I like the best are Firefox and Chromium. Between the two I use Firefox primarily for these reasons:

1.) Print Preview (Chromium doesn't have it)

2.) ability to print a "Selection" from material I highlighted on a webpage. (Chromium can't do it)

3.) Firefox can have a Bookmark Icon on my Navigation Bar, so I can access my bookmarks. (Chromium developers tell me I have to use an Extension for this. But every extension I've tried is awful and in no way even closely approximates the quality and integration that a "native" bookmark icon made by Chromium Developers would provide).

4.) I can access Recent Bookmarks from the Bookmark Icon on the Navigation Bar. (In Chromium I have to open the Bookmark Manager which is a PITA).

5.) I can reopen Closed Tabs even when I'm in Private Browsing Mode (can't do this in Chromium when in Incognito)

6.) Firefox's Awesome Bar does a much better job of bringing up relevant bookmarks that I can then TAB to in the dropdown list. (Chromium can't use TAB to scroll the dropdown list and the bookmarks it presents in the dropdown list are never what I'm looking for)

BUT . . . I love these features of Chromium and often find myself wishing Firefox had them:

1.) how Downloads accumulate at the bottom of the browser window and give you a link to the download when it finishes

2.) the rock-solid stability.

3.) the elements involved with FINDING something on the page. Basically the whole way that Chromium handles the Ctrl + F feature.

4.) the speed with which Chromium starts up

5.) automatic update of Flash Player

cespinal
May 9th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Internet Explorer 6

nrundy
May 9th, 2011, 04:42 AM
Internet Explorer 6

Haha. You are the scourge of Microsoft!

Good for you! Microsoft went there own way, ******* on the community. Now they payin' the price :D

PratterFak
May 9th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Firefox

I've tried the others, but I just keep coming back to FF. It's also been default for Ubuntu as of late with FF 4 this round (11.04)... bonus!

nothingspecial
May 9th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Midori because it's faster.

halovivek
May 9th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I am using Firefox and Chrome.
I use both..
I have installed Opera also, If i get bored using above then I will use Opera for some days.

Retlol
May 9th, 2011, 10:11 AM
So your problem with it is that it doesn't come with a good theme?

are you against customization or something? Why do you use linux?

Fanboys ...

pinballwizard
May 9th, 2011, 10:18 AM
firefox 4 and 6, and when I boot into win7, firefox4 or IE9

Zero2Nine
May 9th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Firefox 3.6.17 (the version from the Maverick repo) because it is the default and more important: just works, fast enough for my needs, lots of nice add-ons available.

Bapun007
May 9th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Iceweasel on debian stable.
Firefox 4... Something on gentoo.
Firefox 3.6 in lucid lynx .

Pogeymanz
May 9th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I've been playing around with FF6 and it's very nice. The UI is more responsive than FF4 already! And it copied the cute feature from Chrome where the tabs don't resize themselves until your mouse moves away from the tab bar.

I use Firefox because of my paranoia. Adblock+, NoScript, BetterPrivacy. (Ghostery seems redundant with NoScript and Adblock+)

Sean Moran
May 9th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Still on SeaMonkey because it is neat on the desktop in text format and it reminds me of Netscape 4.71.
:popcorn:

AND! AND! AND! I know how to set my preferences to check for cookies!

Phrea
May 9th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Opera, because the way the zoom function works.
And, because I've been using it for 10 years, so it's what I'm used to.

marl30
May 9th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Firefox my main browser. Chrome for Chrome Apps and certain accounts. Chromium - same use as Chrome. Opera for Sports. It works better with Sopcast than the other browsers.

madmax75
May 9th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Firefox 4.0.1

Occasionally Chromium.

dniMretsaM
May 9th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Are you sarcastic?

He must be. No sane person could say that IE is better than FF when it comes to... well, anything.

arzali
May 9th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Firefox 4.0+
Fast
Best addons (ABP, NoScript ...)
Best browser for saving screen space (dont like f11 because it hides status bar and clock)

lisati
May 9th, 2011, 08:33 PM
At home, it's usually FireFox.

At work, it's whatever flavour of IE that happens to be loaded on the machine I'm using at the time - I have no choice, and I'm not about to strain my relationship with the boss by making unauthorized changes to any system settings.

nothingspecial
May 9th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I am genuinely surprised there are not more Midori users??????

Maybe it's the plugin thing?

I tend to use things for one purpose, so I use an rss reader and a podcast client and a email notifier etc/etc/etc independantly (browser wise)

Midori is so fast it surprises me.

Throne777
May 9th, 2011, 08:47 PM
FF4, and Lynx when my GUI decides to die.

3 frags left
May 9th, 2011, 08:48 PM
He must be. No sane person could say that IE is better than FF when it comes to... well, anything.
Or maybe he's a troll.

Also, Chromium user here, only using IE via wine for visualizing DVRs (goddamn those Chinese programmers and their ActiveX-only clients.)

FreeTheBee
May 9th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Mostly firefox 4 with pentadactyl but I also regularly use, and really like, uzbl.

SecretCode
May 9th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Has nobody mentioned Konqueror or Rekonq? :)

Firefox here. Chromium and Midori waiting in the wings for occasional understudy duty. And of course WebPositive ... on Haiku.

spier
May 9th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Iron (http://www.srware.net/en/) - "based on the free Sourcecode "Chromium" - without any problems at privacy and security"
and firefox nightly, eventually.

TheNessus
May 10th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Fanboys ...

fanboys? I said I use 4-5 different browsers and I sometimes switch my main from Opera to Chromium and vica versa. And instead of saying "yes, it does look out of place" or "you're right, it looks very intergrated", all you say is "fanboy"?

I am curious, do you mean that you yourself are a fanboy, since this word is all you can utter? Or maybe you have something of actual content to add to this discussion, other than just one word that you uttered as a form of curse word?

please, do tell.

cowlitzron
May 17th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Rekonq 0.7 because it starts up faster on Kubuntu than Firefox 4, and it comes with Kubuntu maverick and natty. Rekonq shares a profile with Konqueror, a browser I formerly used. I do use Firefox 4 sometimes for Zynga games because of its support for the Zynga games toolbar. I also use Firefox for any web page that fails on rekonq such as the U.S. House of Representatives lists of roll call votes. If a web site doesn't work on rekonq, and it has a competing site that does, I will use the site that works on rekonq.

scouser73
May 18th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Google Chrome because it has an uncluttered interface and has so many extensions.

IWantFroyo
May 18th, 2011, 12:44 AM
I used to use Midori, but switched to Chrome for the app store.
- Bloody fast
- Lots of screen space
- You can give it a speed dial like Midori (my favorite feature there).

tjeremiah
May 18th, 2011, 01:12 AM
firefox because its the best open source browser out there.

jerenept
May 18th, 2011, 01:21 AM
At home, it's usually FireFox.

At work, it's whatever flavour of IE that happens to be loaded on the machine I'm using at the time - I have no choice, and I'm not about to strain my relationship with the boss by making unauthorized changes to any system settings.

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable works for me at school. If they're using a proxy server, just set it to automatically setup proxy server.

nerdy_kid
May 18th, 2011, 01:38 AM
Chrome, was using FF4 (and liked it waaay better then 3.x) but it was having lagginess issues with the rendering, that was in Natty beta 2, maybe its better now.

Bandit
May 18th, 2011, 01:41 AM
Firefox 4.0.1 stable, un-modded version form Mozillas website.

tumbes2000
May 18th, 2011, 01:56 AM
I like the add one and bookmark management better in firefox but I find chromium to be faster, just like my windows system. So both.

Hwæt
May 18th, 2011, 02:17 AM
Chromium when I'm on my Arch install on my notebook since it's easier on resources, and Firefox on every other computer because it's more extensible.

-jay-
May 18th, 2011, 02:57 AM
google chrome does what i want

Dale61
May 18th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I use FF 4.0.1.

HappinessNow
May 18th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Firmware Mario.03.60.1120.0038G5.0018d
Chrome OS 0.12.433.38 (Official Build) dev-channel x86-mario
Google Chrome 12.0.742.50

gaz514
May 18th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Been using and enjoying Firefox since version 0.7 (was it Phoenix or Firebird back then?) but just switched to Chromium. With FF4 the slowness, memory leaks, and badly thought-out user interface changes just got too much for me. Chromium still feels a bit... incomplete... to me (in terms of UI) but it's very fast which is nice.

EDIT: Back to FireFox on my home computer as Chrome is absolutely refusing to properly import my FF bookmarks. I had no problem on my work PC but it's just not happening on my laptop.

cyberhood
May 18th, 2011, 05:28 PM
What internet browser are you using?
GNU IceCat (http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/)

Why?
Because it's free as in freedom (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html).

tjeremiah
May 18th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Been using and enjoying Firefox since version 0.7 (was it Phoenix or Firebird back then?) but just switched to Chromium. With FF4 the slowness, memory leaks, and badly thought-out user interface changes just got too much for me. Chromium still feels a bit... incomplete... to me (in terms of UI) but it's very fast which is nice.

well its a good thing you can customize the interface of FF4. I a first hated the new interface but quickly went back to the old "home button on the left" thing.

Fedz
May 18th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Chromium (11.0.696.65 (84435) Ubuntu 11.04)
Is very fast, crisp interface, simple, easy to navigate around with speed, just works without messing. Luv it :)

Quadunit404
May 18th, 2011, 07:58 PM
[...]
- You can give it a speed dial like Midori (my favorite feature there).

Speed dial is an Opera feature (originated in Opera 9.20 in 2006 :lolflag: )

And I forget if I mentioned this before but I've switched to Opera Next, which is like the developer channel for Google Chrome as it auto-updates itself to the latest development snapshot on all platforms and because I like helping make Opera bug-free. Yes, I have in fact reported a few bugs to the Opera Desktop Team.