PDA

View Full Version : Barebones Ubuntu - Quinix OS

NormanFLinux
May 8th, 2011, 03:52 PM
iQuinix OS is a GNOME 11.04 derivative that is barebones Ubuntu! ;-)

It only contains the minimum applications in Ubuntu 11.04 to build a custom operating system. Available in 32 and 64 bit versions.

If you hate stock Ubuntu, you no longer have to choose!

http://iqunix.sourceforge.net/index.html

Freedom of choice in Ubuntu! :cool:

Joe of loath
May 8th, 2011, 04:31 PM
How long are they going to keep Gnome 2.32 for?

NormanFLinux
May 8th, 2011, 06:23 PM
That's why they have distros like this. Mark Shuttleworth is not the dictator of the Ubuntu world... at least not for now.

Like I said, if you like to do it your way, its cool!

Joe of loath
May 8th, 2011, 06:53 PM
But Gnome 2.32 is unsupported. Bundling it with something that's meant to be fast and cutting edge is like painting your car with household emulsion paint.

TransitMan
May 9th, 2011, 05:15 AM
Since when did Gnome 2.32 become unsupported?
I think you need to go back and learn what is supported and what isn't.
As for Ubuntu supporting Gnome 2.32, it is entirely up to the devs.
Ubuntu seems to have this "Unity" desktop going and they are moving away from Gnome, but, if one wants a Gnome DE, it is there for them to install. And it is still supported, for now.
But on other Linux distros, Gnome 2.3x is very much supported.

Joe of loath
May 9th, 2011, 08:23 AM
It's been unsupported upstream since Gnome 3 came out :lol:

TransitMan
May 9th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Gnome 3 is not "main stream" as of yet.
Yes, some Linux distros have incorporated the Gnome into theie latest offerings, but it still has a long way to go before being adopted by everyone.

VanR
May 9th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Gnome 3 is not "main stream" as of yet.
Yes, some Linux distros have incorporated the Gnome into theie latest offerings, but it still has a long way to go before being adopted by everyone.

True cause if it was it would actually work. I killed my new 11.04 install yesterday trying ti install Gnome 3. What a mess. Installed Linux Min t 10 last night. I'm gonna stay with something stable for a while.

Joe of loath
May 9th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Gnome 3 is the default download on the Gnome website. Therefore it's mainstream ;)

screaminj3sus
May 10th, 2011, 12:12 AM
2.32 will be supported for a bit longer as very, very few major distros are running it right now, but by the next ubuntu release it will definitely be much less supported, as ubuntu and other distros will be using gnome 3 libraries as the base, or complete gnome 3.

azurehi
May 11th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Gnome 3 is the default download on the Gnome website. Therefore it's mainstream ;)

If only Shuttleworth had cooperated with Gnome 3, there would Not be this Unity fiasco.

z3r0w
May 17th, 2011, 03:01 AM
Downloading both: x32 & x64. Will test as soon as possible. The idea behind the project seems to fill the gap that Naty left. Thanks a lot!

:cool:

Allavona
May 17th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Way too many "barebones" distros out there to really care about it. It totally belies the purpose that Ubuntu is, and stands for. You want true "barebones?" Grab macpup or TinyCore.

PCLinuxGuy
May 17th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Way too many "barebones" distros out there to really care about it. It totally belies the purpose that Ubuntu is, and stands for. You want true "barebones?" Grab macpup or TinyCore.

Agreed.

shuttleworthwannabe
May 18th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Can someone do a side-by-side comparison of these barebones and Ubuntu to see what is out and what is in? I know Ubuntu is slowing down with the extra bloat they have compared with Debian, it really slow. What I like about Ubuntu is the autodetecting of my hardware--which Debian/Linux Mint Debian Ed lacks;

Anyone?