PDA

View Full Version : Just got Android

Condor Cluster
May 8th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Hi,

I've jst got a used x10 mini smartphone off ebay, upgraded it from 1.6 to 2.1, and rooted it (what a pain in the as that was).

Seems a nice little phone, I've installed Angry Birds, Adobe Reader, Adv Task Killer, ASTRO File Manager, Bluetooth File Manager.

Are there any other apps that are 'essential' or recommended? Tried to find Swype, but not sure it works with the little crappy screen I got. Also tried to get snes9x on it, but don't think it is multitouch either :(

Also, is there a GPS Nav app (like TomTom) that I can use without data charges? (ie all map data is already stored on phone, and it only uses GPS satalites)

Cheers

mamamia88
May 8th, 2011, 03:49 PM
amazon app store free paid app every day

NormanFLinux
May 8th, 2011, 04:01 PM
You could have installed X86 Android to your PC for free.

Its a matter of time before they make Honeycomb available! :)

YeOK
May 8th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Satnav software. Not sure how good it is, I have a data plan.

http://www.andnav.org/

Hman242
May 8th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Download Easy Filter. It's an app that lets you easily block people.

rickyclarke15
May 8th, 2011, 05:24 PM
We're thinking of getting two android tablets and just wondering would the usb broadband 3G dongles we currently use with our netbooks also work on an android tablet? Thanks.

AlanR8
May 8th, 2011, 05:47 PM
http://www.alk.eu.com/copilot/android/

in response to "no data plan".

Condor Cluster
May 8th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Unfortunately AndNav looks like it still uses data transfer (I'm on PAYG!).

CoPilot Live looks more like what I'm after, it says you can even store the maps on your SD card.(2.2 or higher though)

I'm on stock 2.1, and have not a lot of internal memory. Is it worth using a custom ROM to enable me to install apps to the sd card? I'm not sure whether the cyanogen roms are stable for daily use.

Thanks

Johnsie
May 9th, 2011, 12:48 AM
I've heard that some 3g dongles work with some android pads. You need to really check to make sure they are compatible before you buy. Some pads have good forums, so it's worth visiting the forums and asking around there. As far as I'm aware there are no to many Android experts on this Ubuntu forum.

PhillyPhil
May 9th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Rockplayer - play any video format
QuickTeth - cable or wifi tethering
Opera Mobile - nicer than stock
Chomp SMS - nicer than stock
aBTC - BT client
ES file explorer - even better than astro
Gameboid - gba emulator
Steambirds - great game
Aldiko - book shop/library/reader
crunchyroll - anime streamed to your phone (legally)

BTW, google maps caches to sdcard now (if you've updated), so that should cut down on your navigation data downloads.

BrokenKingpin
May 9th, 2011, 01:30 PM
You could have installed X86 Android to your PC for free.

Its a matter of time before they make Honeycomb available! :)
What is the point of this? You can install Ubuntu to your PC, and it does a hell of a lot more.

Also, Google has stated Honeycomb source will not be released by them to the general public, as they do not think it is ready... which really show how much they believe in the open source methodology.

Android is a cool little phone, but I just can't help but feel Google is going down the wrong path with it. In a few years it will be locked down more than an IPhone.

eriktheblu
May 9th, 2011, 01:42 PM
ConnectBot, MythMote, and Mangler if you have use for them.

aysiu
May 9th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Seems a nice little phone, I've installed Angry Birds, Adobe Reader, Adv Task Killer, ASTRO File Manager, Bluetooth File Manager. Uninstall Advanced Task Killer. It's not needed, and it's also potentially harmful.