PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Name of Manu in XFCE/Xubuntu

neu5eeCh
May 8th, 2011, 01:06 PM
If I center click my mouse on the Xubuntu desktop, a menu pops up which allows me to choose between multiple workspaces.

I'd like to know the name of this menu so that I can also create a keyboard shortcut. Does anyone know?

Frogs Hair
May 8th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Menus for xfce can be found in /etc/xdg/menus . I could not find a specific name only that it is not referred to as a context menu . I found much information about editing menus in xfce , but nothing about what they are called .

neu5eeCh
May 8th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks Frogs, that's a good lead. I'll try assigning random menus to a random keystroke and maybe I'll stumble across the correct one.

Toz
May 9th, 2011, 02:57 AM
The:

xfdesktop --windowlist
command will popup this menu.

neu5eeCh
May 11th, 2011, 02:31 AM
The:

xfdesktop --windowlistcommand will popup this menu.

Briliant! Just saw your response. Thankyou. I've got it set up under Super-Shift-Z.

Not to look the gift horse in the mouth, but I wonder if I could bind this key combination to my center mouse button? I'm trying btnx but it doesn't seem to bind?

Toz
May 11th, 2011, 02:37 AM
By default it is bound to the middle mouse button. Does yours not bring it up when clicked?

EDIT: I mean the windowlist is bound to the middle button, not the key combination.

neu5eeCh
May 11th, 2011, 03:24 AM
By default it is bound to the middle mouse button. Does yours not bring it up when clicked?

EDIT: I mean the windowlist is bound to the middle button, not the key combination.

Only on the desktop, but not in any app window. This is why I wanted a key combination.

Toz
May 11th, 2011, 04:02 AM
Only on the desktop, but not in any app window. This is why I wanted a key combination.

Oh, ok. Have a look at xbindkeys.

1. Install it:
sudo apt-get install xbindkeys

2. Create initial config file:
xbindkeys --defaults > $HOME/.xbindkeysrc

3. Edit ~/.xbindkeysrc and add to the end of the file:
"xfdesktop --windowlist"
b:2

4. Re-read the configuration file:
kill -HUP `pidof xbindkeys`

5. Test. (b:2 is the middle mouse button - press it anywhere to bring up that menu). If you want this to work on every login, add xbindkeys to your autostart.

ManualSparrow
May 11th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Can you bind it to a window corner?

Toz
May 11th, 2011, 04:55 AM
Can you bind it to a window corner?

Not that I know of. The xfdesktop command doesn't offer that option. You might want to have a look at xdotool - http://www.semicomplete.com/projects/xdotool/

neu5eeCh
May 11th, 2011, 12:15 PM
4. Re-read the configuration file:
kill -HUP `pidof xbindkeys`5. Test. (b:2 is the middle mouse button - press it anywhere to bring up that menu). If you want this to work on every login, add xbindkeys to your autostart.

Beautiful.

Everything worked as advertized except for the last command. At first, I couldn't sort out what was wrong. Just logged out and back in.

But shouldn't the command be "killall"?

killall -HUP xbindkeys

Toz
May 11th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Yes, either way will work. I guess I do it the first way out of old habits.

Curious why the first one didn't work for you. Did you enclose the "pidof xbindkeys" part in the accent character (the one below the tilde)?

neu5eeCh
May 11th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Yes, either way will work. I guess I do it the first way out of old habits.

Curious why the first one didn't work for you. Did you enclose the "pidof xbindkeys" part in the accent character (the one below the tilde)?

I just tried it again, thinking if I received an error I would forward it. Copied and pasted as before. It worked this time.

I have no explanation? :confused: None. But that's good.