PDA

View Full Version : What should I upgrade first? CPU or RAM?

Lucradia
May 8th, 2011, 03:37 AM
Please also give reasons to your choice.

I'm upgrading from the 1035T 2.6GHZ to a whopping 1100T 3.3 GHZ Processor

as for RAM, I'm going from DDR3 1333MHZ 8 GB (2 x 4) to DDR3 1333MHZ 16 GB (4 x 4). New RAM also has heatsinks on top of each: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231442

This is for the Windows portion of my system. Mainly for MMORPGs / 3D App Recording via CamStudio or such.

Please note, the CAS Latency on the RAM Linked, and my current CAS Latency: http://i.imgur.com/k35wB.jpg

Both RAM sets use 1.5V, so no overvoltage would be seen.

K_45
May 8th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Why? For a Linux system that is already overspecced, and that Phenom runs loud and hot with the stock heatsink. Your current specs are fine for any video or photo processing.

Lucradia
May 8th, 2011, 03:44 AM
Why? For a Linux system that is already overspecced, and that Phenom runs loud and hot with the stock heatsink. Your current specs are fine for any video or photo processing.

*cough* MMORPGs on Windows. I don't like putting windows on my signature, since it makes the first line go wider :V

MMORPGs on Windows have serious rendering issues with this setup as it is. I think its because the first core is being prioritized for the 3D Apps, causing it to be maxed very easily due to the 2.6 GHz. I also want to record 3D Apps at HD resolutions (720p)

I found this issue out back when I switched from a 3.2 GHz Core 2 Duo, to a lower GHz (2.3 GHz) tri-core AMD Processor. The video recording and 3D Render performance was much worse on the lower GHz.

NightwishFan
May 8th, 2011, 04:13 AM
If you arent starved for memory, get a better cpu. :)

akand074
May 8th, 2011, 04:46 AM
8GB is way more than enough. 16GB is completely unreasonable. Definitely, definitely upgrade the CPU. You'd need to be doing some mad video/3D graphic developing to possibly need near 16GB of RAM. And even then CPU upgrade first.

Telengard C64
May 8th, 2011, 05:12 AM
Too bad upgrading the video card isn't an option.

Of the choices given, I'd do the CPU first.

Lucradia
May 8th, 2011, 05:15 AM
Too bad upgrading the video card isn't an option.

Of the choices given, I'd do the CPU first.

This system has a GTX 470, and yes, 3D Render still is horrible, hence these two options.

I WOULD opt for a GTX 560+ but I don't have the money for that at the moment.

NormanFLinux
May 8th, 2011, 05:23 AM
That only applies if you have a desktop PC. The CPU in nettops, laptops and netbooks is affixed to the motherboard and can't easily be upgraded, so you have to buy it with the right configuration for present and future needs the first time.

Bottom line: its always a good idea to buy more CPU than you think you'll need with your computer than try to upgrade it later.

Exodist
May 8th, 2011, 05:47 AM
8GB is way more than enough. 16GB is completely unreasonable. Definitely, definitely upgrade the CPU. You'd need to be doing some mad video/3D graphic developing to possibly need near 16GB of RAM. And even then CPU upgrade first.
I agree 100%

Exodist
May 8th, 2011, 05:53 AM
This system has a GTX 470, and yes, 3D Render still is horrible, hence these two options.

I WOULD opt for a GTX 560+ but I don't have the money for that at the moment.
Something is wrong with your system them.

I am running a Phenom 9850 Quad core at 2.5GHz per core, 4GB (4x1) DDR2-800 Dual Channel RAM, NV GTX460 and 1.2TB (320GBx4 @ RAID0) and my over all performance screams running 3D games at 1920x1080 w/16xAA.

Are you sure your monitor isnt your culprit forcing your video to display slower?

Lucradia
May 8th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Something is wrong with your system them.

I am running a Phenom 9850 Quad core at 2.5GHz per core, 4GB (4x1) DDR2-800 Dual Channel RAM, NV GTX460 and 1.2TB (320GBx4 @ RAID0) and my over all performance screams running 3D games at 1920x1080 w/16xAA.

Are you sure your monitor isnt your culprit forcing your video to display slower?

Nope, because when I am recording, CamStudio shows the Frames per second, and it's always less than 20 FPS (randomly kicking up to 30 FPS when no movement) when recording 3D at 720p or higher. This is on MSMPEG4 video codec, because everything else is worse. On Linux however, everything gets a boost of 5~15 FPS better, especially on 1080p.

I also can't do RAID, I don't like setting it up. It's been doing this with the old ATI Radeon 4xxx Series I had in there as well, but the performance was similar to what I have now, (but the 3D Rendering of MMORPGs was worse.) I have a feeling it's because the CPU is being over-used, and needs a good kick in the gut with an upgrade.

Lucradia
May 8th, 2011, 02:39 PM
And here are some screenshots of CPUZ. This is during the running of Runes of Magic in the background, from just switching from Runes of Magic to CPUZ.

Note that when Runes of Magic is running, the CPU Mhz will shoot up above 3000 (Turbo?) for Core #0.

The above post will have the graphics tab, and any I forgot.

NMFTM
May 8th, 2011, 04:25 PM
When I upgraded from 4 to 8GB (4x2GB) of DDR3 I noticed a difference. When copying tons of files it no longer used any swap space. Which means the transfer would have to be considerably faster since it's not touching the hard drive. 8GB is the most you'd possibly need even for most higher end tasks.

Dustin2128
May 8th, 2011, 07:03 PM
I still wonder how you could possibly ever have problems with playing any game with those specifications. Even with a 2.6Ghz processor, I'd guess you've got some software issues.

akand074
May 8th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I always blame the software. But that's because I have a psychological problem with over doing my needed hardware.

Lucradia
May 8th, 2011, 09:35 PM
I still wonder how you could possibly ever have problems with playing any game with those specifications. Even with a 2.6Ghz processor, I'd guess you've got some software issues.

Some of the games I play use Unreal Engine (MMORPGs), so I'm guessing it's not a software issue, and more along the lines of a developer issue.

K_45
May 8th, 2011, 09:55 PM
If it is a developer issue (6 cores ?) I'd go for a Phenom x4 965. Your current specs shouldn't have any problems with any games. I've got a 965 for my gaming system and am having no problems.

Lucradia
May 8th, 2011, 09:59 PM
If it is a developer issue (6 cores ?) I'd go for a Phenom x4 965. Your current specs shouldn't have any problems with any games. I've got a 965 for my gaming system and am having no problems.

Try telling that to Perfect World on a ghost server, in a place where no one goes, where it lags like hell. (This is a 3D Render problem.)

Dragon Age series will lag if textures are set to high as well.

Remarkably, Back to the Future: The Game, Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People, will never lag at 1080p, with highest graphics settings. (Unless I play them in Linux.)

dhave-dhave
May 8th, 2011, 10:03 PM
If I were running those specs, I think I'd use the money to take my wife out to a nice restaurant. Or maybe buy a new rod and reel. :D

Actually, before I read your original post, I was going to say "upgrade RAM", just because that generally the easiest and least expensive way to boost your system. But when I read that you already have 8Gb of RAM, I saw that you're well fixed for memory.

Upgrade the CPU or, if you have enough $$, buy an SSD. That *really* speeds things up.

K_45
May 8th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Try telling that to Perfect World on a ghost server, in a place where no one goes, where it lags like hell. (This is a 3D Render problem.)

Dragon Age series will lag if textures are set to high as well.

Remarkably, Back to the Future: The Game, Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People, will never lag at 1080p, with highest graphics settings. (Unless I play them in Linux.)

I have maxed out Dragon Age 1 + 2 apart from textures (high vs very high) with a 6870 + 965 @ 1080p. I'd play the games natively in Windows not through WINE, which can be (very) laggy.

Lucradia
May 8th, 2011, 11:43 PM
I'll go with the CPU then. it seems more logical to choose, because as it stands, there's no reason to go intel when bulldozer's coming out so soon next year. I'll upgrade to an AM3+ mobo then. For now, the CPU. After the CPU, I may upgrade to the HAF-X to promote better airflow.

Johnsie
May 9th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Cpu

Retlol
May 9th, 2011, 01:15 AM
My pc lags when I play wow with every setting on lowest or disabled.

I need upgrades, you don't :p:p But if you want to upgrade, pick the cpu.

akand074
May 9th, 2011, 05:53 AM
I'll go with the CPU then. it seems more logical to choose, because as it stands, there's no reason to go intel when bulldozer's coming out so soon next year. I'll upgrade to an AM3+ mobo then. For now, the CPU. After the CPU, I may upgrade to the HAF-X to promote better airflow.

Intel is releasing 3D transistors by the end of the year on a 22nm die (ivy bridge series (http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/intel%E2%80%99s_3d_transistor_faster_cooler_smalle r))... probably will be pricey though. AMD is good performance per dollar.

Lucradia
May 9th, 2011, 05:58 AM
AMD is good performance per dollar.

That's why I love them so much.

CreativeReach
May 9th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Better graphics card! ):P
Nvidia geforce 590!

Lucradia
May 9th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Better graphics card! ):P
Nvidia geforce 590!

How long is the card? If it's above 9 inches, it'll have to wait for the HAF-X. If it's above 14 inches, the HAF-X can't use its GPU ducts.

Philsoki
May 9th, 2011, 08:11 AM
A better CPU will do more for video/3D App recording than 8GB of extra RAM could ever hope to achieve.

Though 16GB of RAM would be awesome... I voted for the CPU. (Nice CPU choice BTW!)

user1397
May 9th, 2011, 08:32 AM
i play an mmo (on low graphics) and it runs completely fine with no lag, and i have a core i3 330M, 4gb ram and intel HD graphics (and a 5400rpm hdd)

Bandit
May 9th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Nope, because when I am recording, CamStudio shows the Frames per second, and it's always less than 20 FPS (randomly kicking up to 30 FPS when no movement) when recording 3D at 720p or higher. This is on MSMPEG4 video codec, because everything else is worse. On Linux however, everything gets a boost of 5~15 FPS better, especially on 1080p.

O man, something seriously has you bottle necked..

Before you upgrade anything, I would seriously start hunting down what has you bottle necked. Seriously I can raid in WOW over 70FPS on med-high settings.

Things I would check..
- Check you power supply voltage. If its to low, it will throttle down the GPU.
- Check your case, cpu and gpu temps. May be getting throttled down due to heat.
- Check you PCI-E slot pins, make sure your getting to use all 16 lanes.
- Check the BIOS settings, make sure you dont have something turned off or miss adjusted. Since so many BIOS differ, you have to just eye this one on your own.
- Check reviews of your mother board. Make sure it isnt a wacky model, or that you may have to do a BIOS update to get full performance of your PCI-E slot.
- Check your RAM. Is it dual channel? Is it set to run Dual Channel? Is it going bad? Is one stick slower then the others?..

All in all.. Something doesnt pan out with your hardware. I can put a older 8400GS in my system and still get at least 40FPS in WoW. So before you waist your cash, take my advice and hunt down that bottle neck.

- Exo

i play an mmo (on low graphics) and it runs completely fine with no lag, and i have a core i3 330M, 4gb ram and intel HD graphics (and a 5400rpm hdd)
Exactly, my case in point. :-)

wizard10000
May 9th, 2011, 10:24 AM
The correct answer is that when troubleshooting performance issues the component that's running at 100% capacity is *always* the bottleneck.

That should simplify things a little :)

Lucradia
May 9th, 2011, 02:34 PM
- Check you power supply voltage. If its to low, it will throttle down the GPU.

I specifically researched my PSU to work in excess over my GTX 470:

* 850W CoolerMaster SilentProM
* +12V Single Rail for 66A
* AC Input is 110-240Vac 12-6A 60-50Hz
* DC Input Voltages are 3.3V (22A), 5V (22A), 12V (66A), -12V (0.3A) and 5VSB (3A)
* Total Output: 165W (First Two DC Inputs), 792W (66A +12V Rail), 3.6W (-12V), 15W (5VSB)

- Check your case, cpu and gpu temps. May be getting throttled down due to heat.

Nope:

* 52 C at Idle with Windows Aero for CPU << This can get up to 72~ C under load. (Max TDP for this processor is 108, but the motherboard can handle more (for the newer 1090T / 1100Ts))
* 54 C for Idle on Windows Aero for GPU << This actually can get up to 80~ C when on load, but that's normal for this card, from reviews and whatnot. Yes, I checked that too.
* SATA 7200 RPM HDD is idle at around 30 C.

- Check you PCI-E slot pins, make sure your getting to use all 16 lanes.

* Made sure of this when I installed my GTX 470 myself. (It's an x16 card anyway, and all my motherboard's x16 lanes are, full x16.)

- Check the BIOS settings, make sure you dont have something turned off or miss adjusted. Since so many BIOS differ, you have to just eye this one on your own.

* Nope, everything's OK.

- Check reviews of your mother board. Make sure it isnt a wacky model, or that you may have to do a BIOS update to get full performance of your PCI-E slot.

* If you think this is a waky model: M4A78LT-M

- Check your RAM. Is it dual channel? Is it set to run Dual Channel? Is it going bad? Is one stick slower then the others?..

* Sticks are all the same speed and voltage, no problem here. Yes, it's dual-channel (Unganged, if that helps.)

Attached below are Idle and Load images. Load is using Telltale's BTTF: The Game.

doas777
May 9th, 2011, 02:45 PM
more ram is only helpful when you are already using what you have. a CPU's increased performance however is something you would get value out of all the time.

quasimodo69
May 9th, 2011, 03:39 PM
This is a question that has 4 things to evaluate..and debate.
1.The main thing-how hard core a gamer and how intensive are the games you are going to play.The more intensive or hard the games press the limits of the system...extreme games stress a system more than almost anything else...and the more you have to open your wallet.
3gig CPU..8gigs RAM,,,then consider your video card...whew.
2.On ANY system...an increase in RAM will give you more of a boost than CPU upgrade.And yes that is within limits.This is a bang for your bucks limit.
3.Micro$oft has RAM access limits...going from 8gig RAM to 24gig RAM should give you quite a boost theoretically...if it does not access all the RAM...it's money you should have spent on a mothers day card.
4.It all comes back to the wallet...it is not like 10yrs ago when-boost the RAM was GreaT,,,now video card RAM...Video card archetecture...ALL play a part.The new quadcore chips with dual CPU's...man..the wallet is the limit.
Take it for what it is from somebody who has a friend who recently spent 6k on a new maxed out gaming machine he custom built...and he still has problems...

I'm upgrading from the 1035T 2.6GHZ to a whopping 1100T 3.3 GHZ Processor

as for RAM, I'm going from DDR3 1333MHZ 8 GB (2 x 4) to DDR3 1333MHZ 16 GB (4 x 4). New RAM also has heatsinks on top of each: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231442

This is for the Windows portion of my system. Mainly for MMORPGs / 3D App Recording via CamStudio or such.

Lucradia
May 9th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Well, the RAM I upgrade to might be a better choice if I choose well. See, my current RAM has a CAS Latency of 9-9-9-24, and apparently operates only at 666 MHZ (DDR3 1333)

See image: http://i.imgur.com/k35wB.jpg

I can choose a RAM set that is 7 CAS instead, which probably would make a huge difference.

K_45
May 9th, 2011, 09:51 PM
CAS 7 would do very little, a 5% boost maybe in real life. I'd buy a heatsink first for that CPU. 70+ is a bit warm. My 965 barely hits 50 celsius, more than likely 45, 39 or so idle.

Lucradia
May 9th, 2011, 10:13 PM
CAS 7 would do very little, a 5% boost maybe in real life. I'd buy a heatsink first for that CPU. 70+ is a bit warm. My 965 barely hits 50 celsius, more than likely 45, 39 or so idle.

My CPU has a heatsink and fan: http://i.imgur.com/jK5ey.jpg

But of course, it's a very tight-fit in that mid-tower: http://i.imgur.com/0lDno.jpg

K_45
May 9th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I'd upgrade the case first. No need for heat to choke off your performance. This:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129098

is an excellent choice. I built my first two systems in the Two Hundred's, but this is a cheaper replacement.

I wouldn't spend that much on a new six core CPU with Bulldozer coming out.

Lucradia
May 9th, 2011, 10:21 PM
No, I'll have enough money to spend on a HAF-X, and I'd rather have that, but thanks for the information, I had a feeling that it was either CPU troubles, or heat problems.

I'd also want to have the possibility of ATX-XL or E-ATX, so HAF-X would be better.

As for bulldozer, my Motherboard can't be upgraded via BIOS to support AM3+, so I'll check the E-ATX boards when Bulldozer comes. Crosshair IV seems like a good choice for that.

K_45
May 9th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Buy an AM3+ mobo for less than $200. You only need that Crossfire if you will be overclocking heavily. An Asrock board for $150 is good and solid enough.

Lucradia
May 9th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Buy an AM3+ mobo for less than $200. You only need that Crossfire if you will be overclocking heavily. An Asrock board for $150 is good and solid enough.

180 USD actually (Out of Stock): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157248

Or: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157243

Please note: United States User. I would also have to get a SATA III Drive, as I only have SATA II devices.

K_45
May 9th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I was thinking 870 chipset:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157198 - (that is a great board)

FX is when you have 2 GPU's, so the extra cost is unnecessary. This also has no integrated GPU, so you save a bit more. You can also use SATA_II in SATA_III.

Maheriano
May 9th, 2011, 11:41 PM
I did exactly this yesterday, I personally don't think you'll benefit much from doing one without the other.

My old:
AMD 3500+ X64 CPU (single core)
1 gig DDR RAM

My new:
AMD Phenom Black II (quad core)
8 gigs DDR3 RAM

I added a new motherboard for $110 and was done.

Lucradia
May 9th, 2011, 11:49 PM
I was thinking 870 chipset:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157198 - (that is a great board)

FX is when you have 2 GPU's, so the extra cost is unnecessary. This also has no integrated GPU, so you save a bit more. You can also use SATA_II in SATA_III.

That's not an AM3+ compatible one actually. There is a revision 2.0 version of that board, which does not look anything like that of which you linked at all, which will support AM3+: http://www.asrock.com/download/e-catalog/870%20Extreme3%20R2.0.pdf

Plus, NewEgg doesn't even list it as an AM3+

K_45
May 10th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Which is why I would wait with any upgrades until Bulldozer arrives and then look at my options.

Lucradia
May 10th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Which is why I would wait with any upgrades until Bulldozer arrives and then look at my options.

Which means I can think about the Case + RAM for now. Of course, the CPU can fit into the AM3+ Board, but I won't upgrade either of these until the Case is dealt with.

K_45
May 10th, 2011, 01:13 AM
And to save money I'd go for the Antec I recommended. Sure, the Coolermaster is a good choice, but do you need it? I'd leave the RAM as is. I have 8GB in my separate gaming system, and I highly doubt any game will even use 4GB by itself. That is also enough for virtualization too.

Lucradia
May 10th, 2011, 01:36 AM
And to save money I'd go for the Antec I recommended. Sure, the Coolermaster is a good choice, but do you need it? I'd leave the RAM as is. I have 8GB in my separate gaming system, and I highly doubt any game will even use 4GB by itself. That is also enough for virtualization too.

I'll go with the HAF-X thanks, I like the features, and the ability to support 13 or so inch video cards.

K_45
May 10th, 2011, 01:46 AM
Have you also considered Silverstone's Raven cases?

Bandit
May 10th, 2011, 01:58 AM
* 52 C at Idle with Windows Aero for CPU << This can get up to 72~ C under load. (Max TDP for this processor is 108, but the motherboard can handle more (for the newer 1090T / 1100Ts))
* 54 C for Idle on Windows Aero for GPU << This actually can get up to 80~ C when on load, but that's normal for this card, from reviews and whatnot. Yes, I checked that too.
* SATA 7200 RPM HDD is idle at around 30 C.

Ouch those temps are borderline to hot. That could be your biggest issue right there.

My GTX460 never hits 52c --ever--.. It lits 50 maybe 51 after hours of playing wow. It idles at 32c.
Also my CPU never goes over 50c. I use a CM Gemini 2 120MM fan. This keeps the CPU cool.
I also really recommend a good case like CM Scout case. I added two additional 120MM fans with my case and case temps are what ever the room temp is. Which is normally 30c.
Click Here (https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_04pMYWw39X4/TciKngXQ86I/AAAAAAAABG0/HPCrj64v_CQ/s720/pc1.png)

I believe your temps are causing your slowness and even if they are not, you need to lower them anyway to keep your hardware from failing.

But hey its your cash... :-)

Lucradia
May 10th, 2011, 02:20 AM

No, I haven't, but it looks pretty epic, but I don't like the hard way to get the CD-ROM inside the system: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFmbodtTq1o

K_45
May 10th, 2011, 02:24 AM
There is also the Thermaltake Armor+ case and the new Antec DF-85.

Lucradia
May 10th, 2011, 02:51 AM
It's pretty much between the HAF-X (Comes with all those epic fans, airflow channeling) and that DF-85 (SSD Ease, better than the 1200 and previous) and the RV01 Raven (Mainly for the gravity reduction holders.)

K_45
May 10th, 2011, 02:59 AM
I'd go for the Raven, seeing as I don't like the look of the HAF, and I bought Antec before, so time for a change.

Lucradia
May 10th, 2011, 03:04 AM
I've decided on the HAF-X actually, I don't mind the design either (especially the four wheels you can screw on the bottom.)

The side air-duct is actually a good thing to prevent all that issue with the GPU heat causing the CPU to heat. Thanks for helping me decide though.

K_45
May 10th, 2011, 03:30 AM
The GPU will not heat up the CPU unless your choice of GPU dumps air into a case with poor airflow. All of these choices have great ariflow, so that is not an issue.

Telengard C64
May 10th, 2011, 03:31 AM

I have the Raven RV02, and it is really slick. Plenty of cooling, plenty of space. More than I really need TBH.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/products/index.php?area=usa&model=RV02

Lucradia
May 10th, 2011, 05:38 AM
I have the Raven RV02, and it is really slick. Plenty of cooling, plenty of space. More than I really need TBH.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/products/index.php?area=usa&model=RV02

But is there a prominent gravity problem if wiggled or moved a lot? (IE: via tv stand it sits on, etc?) That's reason enough not to buy it. There are two gravity problems depending on how the GPU is fitted:

A.) Is the GPU screwed to the chassis? (Good 'ol days of set-top desktops where the monitor went on top.)

If so, then you have the possibility that the bottom portion of your PCI connector may wiggle out of the PCI Slot. This can cause misfires leading to burnouts, glitchy display, etc.

B.) Is the GPU secured by a bar or somthing? (RV01)

If so, and you don't have a screw added at the top, then it's possible that instead of popping out at the bottom, it may pop out at the top, same issue as above, different side. Gravity comes from all directions, but always goes one way in the end.

Since a GPU on a normal tower is set in a way that all gravity is forced on it equally, and that the slot that it goes into is less wide than it is lengthy... it cannot come out as easily as the Raven by means of gravity.

Telengard C64
May 10th, 2011, 07:35 PM
But is there a prominent gravity problem if wiggled or moved a lot? (IE: via tv stand it sits on, etc?) That's reason enough not to buy it.

Umm, I don't have any gravity problem with mine. Then again, mine isn't precariously perched on a flimsy TV stand. This is a monstrously large case, so mine sits atop a heavy chest near the floor.

Anyway, if it doesn't look like it will suit your needs then you probably should investigate other options.

Lucradia
May 11th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I did another test, and this seems to be a good position for the system until I can upgrade the case for better cooling / space:

Real Life: http://i.imgur.com/klHIk.jpg

Temps (Idle): http://i.imgur.com/jIIqT.png

Temps (Load - Back to the Future): http://i.imgur.com/1fEnv.png

Tell me what you think. (Please note: That fan is being held in place by a lamp, if I remove it, the fan will immediately fall off, even with the feet.)

My apartment's room temperature (usually all year unless I have windows open during summer) is around 24C

Sylslay
May 11th, 2011, 09:16 AM
For my 7 years laptops 1GB ram is enough,
And 1,5 GB is best and not much diffrence on preformance between 1,5-2GB.

Minimum spec for today Ubuntu is

Pentium III (wow is very old) and 512MB ram. Good for reading stuff, palying movies and musci. Even Firiefox 3,6-17 is great.

And any x86 CPU above 1400MZ with 512MB ram and fast HDD atlest 40GB can play Youtube without choping and movie files.

Sorry Microsoft, that Yours windows need now a days 4GB of 800MHZ ram.

100% Agrree with:
The correct answer is that when troubleshooting performance issues the component that's running at 100% capacity is *always* the bottleneck.

Telengard C64
May 11th, 2011, 04:28 PM

Have the people who voted RAM bothered to explain why? No? Not even one of them?

OIC :rolleyes:

matthewbpt
May 11th, 2011, 04:33 PM
That much RAM is pointless unless you run some very specialized graphics/video/audio editing applications. You will not notice any performance increase I imagine. Upgrade the CPU and you will definetely notice a performance increase.

Swagman
May 11th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Aint Bulldozer out soon anyway ?

I'd wait for that.

[edit]

My bad.. I should read ALL the pages before commenting.. Not the first two !!

Lucradia
May 11th, 2011, 05:48 PM
People replying on page 7 should REALLY read page 6.

Bandit
May 11th, 2011, 05:57 PM
People replying on page 7 should REALLY read page 6.
Looked at your temps, the fan is helping no doubt, but still some are running little warm. Not like they was tho. Most parts should live now.

Just question, has the performance increased in your game play since you added the fan?

Also, just a question. How often do you blow the dust out of your computer.
I normally do monthly, matter of fact I meant to do that this morning. :-)

Lucradia
May 11th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Looked at your temps, the fan is helping no doubt, but still some are running little warm. Not like they was tho. Most parts should live now.

Just question, has the performance increased in your game play since you added the fan?

Also, just a question. How often do you blow the dust out of your computer.
I normally do monthly, matter of fact I meant to do that this morning. :-)

I usually never do it. I actually got this computer last year, during late summer, but I have barely any dust issues as you can plainly see (besides fans.)

And no, gaming performance has not increased because some games (IE: Runes of Magic) will return the temps to the uber high temps it was before.

back to the Future Performance has not increased either, since there were no performance issues with it before.

giddyup306
May 11th, 2011, 06:14 PM
What on earth do you use 16 GB of RAM for??? I have an Asus g73 with 6 gbs of ram, and it advertised that it could do professional video editing... and it came with Windows 7...

Bandit
May 11th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I usually never do it. I actually got this computer last year, during late summer, but I have barely any dust issues as you can plainly see (besides fans.)

And no, gaming performance has not increased because some games (IE: Runes of Magic) will return the temps to the uber high temps it was before.

back to the Future Performance has not increased either, since there were no performance issues with it before.

Well #1 killer to computers is dust. But I am not going to say go dust yours, specially since I havent looked in it. Sadly it could be that the computer has suffered to much overheating and will not ever run like it should be again. At least the CPU anyway. I have replaced countless ones in older laptops that have been over heated so many times that they no longer operate at even half the power they used to.

So IMHO, best things is to fully dust your box out, get a new CPU of your choice that will work on the mother board. Better cooling Fan, and Artic Silver thermal compound and a new case like has been pointed out by everyone here. I can assure your the Cooler Master cases that were mentioned are awesome for cooling. My Sniper case has 3x 140mm fans and 3x 120mm fans (counting the one in the PSU). With my house at 75F (~24c) my whole system is all running below 30c and whisper quiet with all the fans at lowest speed.

I think you know what needs fixed now. At least when you do replace the items you want to, you will not be burning up the new parts. :-)

Lucradia
May 11th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I think you know what needs fixed now. At least when you do replace the items you want to, you will not be burning up the new parts. :-)

Keep in mind, this was a pre-built computer, and ASUS included no back chassis fan to help cool off the ATI 4xxx series they put in there. If you need to check what my computer looks like inside, check this post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10793128&postcount=37

There is a spot for a front chassis fan, but the vents for it are so tiny. Please also note below the SATA HDD there, there used to be a big metal bracket, which I removed to promote better airflow. The back chassis fan you see there is 120mm, I added it myself this past winter.

Telengard C64
May 11th, 2011, 07:44 PM
My case came with filters. I clean them once or twice per month. They do seem to help.

Lucradia
May 11th, 2011, 10:22 PM
My case came with filters. I clean them once or twice per month. They do seem to help.

HAF-X has dust filters on all places where a fan goes, including the side window fan (Unlike the antec.) So of course, the HAF-X will help considerably.