PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Revert to Maverick 10.10

TedinOz
May 8th, 2011, 01:53 AM
I upgraded to Natty after the release but have decided that I am not as comfortable with it as I was with Maverick and I am not yet proficient enough with Ubuntu to customise it, although all the advice here has been excellent.
So I plan to do a new clean install of Maverick and intend to store my document and media files on an external drive and re-import them after the Maverick install.
My question is, seeing that the default office in Natty is LibreOffice and in Maverick, OpenOffice, the files I store externally will now be in LibreOffice so will this prevent me from imprting them back or will I have to install LibreOffice in Maverick?
Sorry to have to ask such a basic question but am not sure and I don't want to lose my files.
Any comments will be good.
Thanks.

mikewhatever
May 8th, 2011, 02:29 AM
Both LibreOfiice and OpenOffice use the same file formatting (odx), so that you shouldn't have any problems.

MAFoElffen
May 8th, 2011, 02:35 AM
I upgraded to Natty after the release but have decided that I am not as comfortable with it as I was with Maverick and I am not yet proficient enough with Ubuntu to customise it, although all the advice here has been excellent.
So I plan to do a new clean install of Maverick and intend to store my document and media files on an external drive and re-import them after the Maverick install.
My question is, seeing that the default office in Natty is LibreOffice and in Maverick, OpenOffice, the files I store externally will now be in LibreOffice so will this prevent me from imprting them back or will I have to install LibreOffice in Maverick?
Sorry to have to ask such a basic question but am not sure and I don't want to lose my files.
Any comments will be good.
Thanks.
As long as it "is" running and you just want the same interface (look and feel...) If you---

At the grub menu, select Ubuntu. >
At the Login screen, select your username. >
The password box will appear...
At the same time, there will be startup options that appear in the bar at the bottom of the screen, halfway across will be a pull-down box that will allow you to select Ubuntu, Ubuntu "Classic." Ubuntu Classic without affects... etc.
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/8084/loginoptions.png
Select the Classic. The classic is the old, familiar gnome desktop.

Select it > type in your password and go on. It will remember and stay at whatever you selected last as the option.

When you do that, it will start Ubuntu without Unity. Classic is the older familiar Gnome desktop that was in 10.10. I have "that" selected on my laptop that my girlfriend "adopted" as her own a year ago... She is not a very high skilled user. SHe turns it on, logs in, finds her chrome browser in the top bar and... But everything looks the same and she doesn't even know there is any diffrence!!! (She does not do change well.)

73ckn797
May 8th, 2011, 02:39 AM
As mentioned, selecting Gnome Classic will bring back the look and feel you are accustomed to. You can still select Unity, or, as it is listed, Ubuntu and still play around. You may just get used to it or you may not. You do not have to use Unity.

TedinOz
May 8th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks all. I have been using Gnome with Ubuntu Classic but there are other issues that I have with the upgrade, and not just with Unity. Several apps that I had installed have either been dropped out or don't work anymore and often when attempting to run something I get logged out for no apparent reason and everything I have open has to be re-started. Also I frequently get error status when the update manager is trying to run et al.
I am sure there are solutions to all of these problems and I intend to run Natty on another system to get to know it better and work on these issues. But at this point to have it as my main-stream system is a bit annoying after the smoothness of Maverick and it does give me unpleasant reminders of the inadequacy I felt when I used to run Vista and had to spend so much time trying to resolve issues.
I thoroughly enjoy Ubuntu and when I changed over from Windows all was good with the world. Now I need to learn a lot more before I feel confident and have the time to learn, before I indulge in too much uncertain tweaking.

73ckn797
May 8th, 2011, 09:54 PM
A fresh install usually avoids most issues.