PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] use gnome classic menu with unity

curbuntuforums
May 7th, 2011, 11:56 PM
I'd give this unity thing a chance if I didn't have to keep wasting clicks "opening up" the darned menu!!

Q: Can I use the classic gnome start menu with unity?

mc4man
May 8th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Q: Can I use the classic gnome start menu with unity?
If you wish - 2 ways

Log into Classic, remove top panel, put your gnome-menu applet on the bottom or a right side panel, then enable the unity plugin in ccsm

=================================================

Or just use unity and add menus to the launcher - icon = category, quicklist = menu

Frogs Hair
May 8th, 2011, 01:13 AM
I started the gnome panel in unity via the terminal just to check it out. When the terminal is closed the panel is removed and it is , of course , the bottom panel.

curbuntuforums
May 8th, 2011, 01:26 AM
thanks
1st helped flesh out launcher but quickly became silly, you're right
2nd well... maybe for temporary things, but clutters what unity is trying to clear up
3rd - add menus to launcher?

mc4man
May 8th, 2011, 02:19 AM
3rd - add menus to launcher?
I have several examples in this thread, (posts 29,34,36) they are very easy to create once you get the idea
They are not 100% suitable for C&P, more to show how.

If you wish to try but don't get the deal, post a category and a list of what you want in it, I'll make you one to start.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10778758#post10778758

Frogs Hair
May 8th, 2011, 02:21 AM
The applications launcher on the panel offers access to all the items that were on the menus . A good shortcut to have is the system settings as a launcher because it has everything that was on the administration and preferences menu .

curbuntuforums
May 8th, 2011, 02:39 AM
'system settings' app in launcher relieves some transition pain, for sure
and
those quicklist menus look very slick
thnx

Copper Bezel
May 8th, 2011, 02:45 AM
I started the gnome panel in unity via the terminal just to check it out. When the terminal is closed the panel is removed and it is , of course , the bottom panel.

Unless it's a daemon, any process will generally die when you close the terminal session. You can preface any command with setsid to prevent this. Gnome Panel can also be launched from the Run Dialog.

While the Gnome Main Menu (or clones such as Cairo Menu, used in Cairo Dock and AWN) requires a panel to attach to, other close equivalents do not. For instance, you might look into Cardapio (https://launchpad.net/cardapio), which can be invoked by the command cardapio --show-near-mouse, which you could use as the exec line in a Launcher icon as described above.

But yes, the category buttons are certainly prettier.

mc4man
May 8th, 2011, 03:43 AM
I'd give this unity thing a chance if ....
Ultimately I'd think it will be the upcoming O release that will give the best indication of where unity is heading. It wouldn't surprise me if there were some changes of note that may change minds either way.
(I've had a great time w/ it for the last 6 months and really like using, but there is the possibility that I could feel differently come 11.10.