PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Lines on screen with Unity on 11.04

sriv1211
May 7th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Hi. I have random lines near the top of the desktop, as seen in the image on the top right. The spotify app, under wine also shows the same lines that are quite annoying as they make it difficult to navigate.

Is anyone else having the same problem?

Thanks

phybr0s
May 24th, 2011, 04:04 AM
Yes!!!

I'm having the exact same problem since I upgraded from Maverick.

I have a Samsung R20 laptop, it has an ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 graphics chipset, don't know if that's the problem. Is your hardware similar? Did you upgrade or do a standard install?

I will upload a screenshot tomorrow.

sriv1211
May 24th, 2011, 11:05 PM
I have a Samsung r60, with a radeon xpress 1250 as well. Looks like the issue is specific to this type of graphics chip.

Do you know how to file a bug for this?

I did a fresh install from the CD downloaded from the ubuntu website.

Thanks

phybr0s
June 23rd, 2011, 10:16 PM
Sounds like its the xpress 1250, does anyone know if this has been filed as a bug anywhere?

I have attached a screenshot of my desktop

phybr0s
June 24th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I submitted a bug report on launchpad (bug 801356)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/801356

phybr0s
September 21st, 2011, 04:32 PM
(bump) I'd also like to point out that when I run Ubuntu Classic, the special effects work about 50% of the time. That is to say, when I boot the machine up, there's a 50/50 chance that the effects will work.

Also, during boot I get all kinds of weird lines and artifacts showing on the screen, and about 10% of the time, i get the legit Ubuntu loading screen.

Does anyone else have these symptoms?

I find it strange that this graphics chip would work intermittently like that. It's almost like the kernel is initializing everything in a random order every time I start my laptop up.

sriv1211
September 21st, 2011, 11:14 PM
Exactly the same problems with the fuzzy lines randomly showing on boot.

Sorry I can't help you any more as I have purchased a mac.

Good luck with the problem :)

phybr0s
October 16th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I'm sorry to hear that, because now, in Ocelot (11.10) the problems are somewhat rectified. See the attached screenshots.

The overlay thing works great, none of the fonts are messed up or anything.

On the regular desktop however, those pesky white lines still appear!

I'm going to try 32-bit and see if that makes a difference, but i'm still happy with the improvements.