PDA

View Full Version : Reporting death threats made on youtube against a non youtube user?

nerdopolis
May 7th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Hi.

I know this is way out of topic for "Linux-y" things I usually talk about, and I hope this is within the bounds of the community cafe, as there are some smart people here, and I don't know where else to ask.

But the question is if you notice that a Youtube user is threatening to kill someone who is NOT a Youtube user on Youtube, who should you contact? Youtube only seems interested in death threats being made against a Youtube user. Not to mention that it seems that the reporting tool seems buggy...

Should one contact the police? If so, which one, the local police, or the police for the city where the death threat target is?

Thanks.

Throne777
May 7th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Hi.

I know this is way out of topic for "Linux-y" things I usually talk about, and I hope this is within the bounds of the community cafe, as there are some smart people here, and I don't know where else to ask.

But the question is if you notice that a Youtube user is threatening to kill someone who is NOT a Youtube user on Youtube, who should you contact? Youtube only seems interested in death threats being made against a Youtube user. Not to mention that it seems that the reporting tool seems buggy...

Should one contact the police? If so, which one, the local police, or the police for the city where the death threat target is?

Thanks.

Youtube should deal with death threats regardless. Unless it's a joke video like 'I'm going to kill Justin Bieber because his music sucks', report it to Youtube and they should deal with it.

Thewhistlingwind
May 7th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Hi.

Thanks.

AFAIK (IANAL) You COULD contact the police. (Emphasis on "could" that should be serious last resort stuff.) (It would be the one for their jurisdiction I'm sure.) I guess the person being threatened could file a DMCA take down?

EDIT: You may want to save the video for evidence in any case, however, the youtube EULA has words about this (Saving their videos) that apply.
EDIT2: Due to comments made by NovaAesa, may I note that before filing ANYTHING you should be aware of applicable laws to avoid counter suit.

nerdopolis
May 7th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Thanks.

Its not in a video, but in a comment that the user has been spamming another one with.

Thewhistlingwind Thanks for the suggestion. I took a screenshot of it in the users recent activity. That should prevent me from violating the EULA as I collect the evidence.

Throne777 I am trying to report it to youtube right now, but I've been waiting for their tool to find the users comments in the video for three days now.

There are millions of comments in this video, and the reporting tool does not seem to handle that well. I don't think it should be taking this long.

I tried mentioning this on the youtube help fourm. I got no replies yet.

As far as the seriousness of it goes, it IS targeted at a celebrity, the user COULD be joking, but judging by the tone, its extremely graphic, sinister, and long winded that I can't rest assured that he is joking...

And here is what concerns me even more: I searched for more comments by this user, and I found one of his comments in another video about a 911 call which ended up in a murder he left two weeks ago... He states that, I roughly quote here, I can't really find a better way to put it: he is "turned on by imagining himself as the murderer"...

aguafina
May 8th, 2011, 12:36 AM
I doubt if someone was going to do something as serious as that that they would be talking about it, they would just do it on Youtube/public.
Could be they're looking for a reaction or attention? without actually seeing the video it's hard to estimate the risk.

HappinessNow
May 8th, 2011, 12:43 AM
Youtube comment blocker - Stop innane comments from ruining your youtube experience.

http://goo.gl/HBTpz

simple solution :P

NovaAesa
May 8th, 2011, 12:48 AM
I guess the person being threatened could file a DMCA take down?I really hope you're joking... this is the kind of thing that has really ruined youtube as of late. Additionally, if you file a false DMCA claim, you are liable to being sued (and probably deserve to be sued...).

Thewhistlingwind
May 8th, 2011, 12:49 AM
I really hope you're joking... this is the kind of thing that has really ruined youtube as of late. Additionally, if you file a false DMCA claim, you are liable to being sued (and probably deserve to be sued...).

I thought that was a legitimate DMCA claim? (Again IANAL)

EDIT: Also, it would be quite the case to be sued over a take down concerning death threats.
EDIT2: Especially graphic, vulgar death threats. Just a note, if the video is Friday, their probably trolling, don't worry about it.

nerdopolis
May 8th, 2011, 12:50 AM
I doubt if someone was going to do something as serious as that that they would be talking about it, they would just do it on Youtube/public.
Could be they're looking for a reaction or attention? without actually seeing the video it's hard to estimate the risk.

The user left the comment multiple times on the infamous "Friday" video by Rebbecca Black...

And I should mention that nowhere in his threat does he mention the song...

aguafina
May 8th, 2011, 01:20 AM
The user left the comment multiple times on the infamous "Friday" video by Rebbecca Black...

:lolflag: I wish them luck

K_45
May 8th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Rule No 1: Never ever ever ever snitch

Rule No 2: Mind your own business. If someone wants to kill someone, why is it your concern?

Rasa1111
May 8th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Rule No 1: Never ever ever ever snitch

Rule No 2: Mind your own business. If someone wants to kill someone, why is it your concern?

hahaha!
thanks for the laugh. :lol:

K_45
May 8th, 2011, 02:06 AM
hahaha!
thanks for the laugh. :lol:

It was meant in all seriousness . .

Throne777
May 8th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Thanks.

Its not in a video, but in a comment that the user has been spamming another one with.

As far as the seriousness of it goes, it IS targeted at a celebrity, the user COULD be joking, but judging by the tone, its extremely graphic, sinister, and long winded that I can't rest assured that he is joking...

And here is what concerns me even more: I searched for more comments by this user, and I found one of his comments in another video about a 911 call which ended up in a murder he left two weeks ago... He states that, I roughly quote here, I can't really find a better way to put it: he is "turned on by imagining himself as the murderer"...

Successful troll was successful.

NovaAesa
May 8th, 2011, 02:18 AM
I thought that was a legitimate DMCA claim? (Again IANAL)

EDIT: Also, it would be quite the case to be sued over a take down concerning death threats.
EDIT2: Especially graphic, vulgar death threats. Just a note, if the video is Friday, their probably trolling, don't worry about it.

Hmmmm, IANAL either, but I'm fairly certain that DMCA takedown claims are only meant to be used when someone has infringed your copyrighted intellectual property and you want their ISP to "takedown" the copyright infringing material. What do death threats have to do with copyright infringement?

nerdopolis
May 8th, 2011, 02:23 AM
If someone wants to kill someone, why is it your concern?

If I did not report it I would be responsible too.

Throne777
May 8th, 2011, 02:30 AM

I wouldn't take the threat seriously. At all.
Go on any music video on Youtube and you are guaranteed to find at least a hundred threats against Justin Bieber's life, or comments that claim they wish he was dead.
The internet is just hyperbole incarnate.

Rasa1111
May 8th, 2011, 02:36 AM
It was meant in all seriousness . .

lol, I know. that's what made #2 funniest.
I just got a laugh out of seeing it when I didnt expect to. lol :P

K_45
May 8th, 2011, 02:47 AM

Responsible for what? You didn't kill anyone. There is always someone butting into something they shouldn't. Just look at the U.S. in the middle east. . . .just leave it alone unless its directly affecting you or you can actually deal with it.

nerdopolis
May 8th, 2011, 02:50 AM
I wouldn't take the threat seriously. At all.
Go on any music video on Youtube and you are guaranteed to find at least a hundred threats against Justin Bieber's life, or comments that claim they wish he was dead.
The internet is just hyperbole incarnate.

Well...

I don't know... his threats are extremely graphic, and he proclaims in another video that he is "turned on by imagining himself as the killer"...

If you want to take a look yourselves the threats are coming from Youtube user ri394. I think they are still in his recent history. If you don't like graphic text like me, you do not want to look.

K_45
May 8th, 2011, 02:56 AM
He's another idiot. Look at the other comments . . . .all those commenters are hilarious. They would never do anything to anyone; they are hiding behind their keyboard. That isn't that graphic anyway.

Throne777
May 8th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Responsible for what? You didn't kill anyone. There is always someone butting into something they shouldn't. Just look at the U.S. in the middle east. . . .just leave it alone unless its directly affecting you or you can actually deal with it.

By that logic, we shouldn't help those who are mentally ill (who don't think they are).
Or, say a friend or relative becomes a heroin addict. You don't think 'Oh well, their choice, their life. Sucks to be them'. You try and help them, you intervene.
Granted in this case there's no point in reporting it because such 'threats' amount to nothing any authority would be interested in (with good reason), but that doesn't mean one should never intervene in any situation which doesn't absolutely, directly involve you.

There's a balance to strike. Either extremes are totally irrational.

nerdopolis
May 8th, 2011, 03:06 AM

I would FEEL responsible, like I could have done something or something.

K_45
May 8th, 2011, 03:16 AM
By that logic, we shouldn't help those who are mentally ill (who don't think they are).
Or, say a friend or relative becomes a heroin addict. You don't think 'Oh well, their choice, their life. Sucks to be them'. You try and help them, you intervene.
Granted in this case there's no point in reporting it because such 'threats' amount to nothing any authority would be interested in (with good reason), but that doesn't mean one should never intervene in any situation which doesn't absolutely, directly involve you.

There's a balance to strike. Either extremes are totally irrational.

Why would I help an addict? His only friend then would be drugs. Don't even start with imaginary mental health problems, judged by anyone else, we all have mental health problems.

Throne777
May 8th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Why would I help an addict? His only friend then would be drugs.

In lieu of the cafe rules, I think it's just easier to say we're not going to agree on this issue.

aguafina
May 8th, 2011, 03:27 AM
Well...

I don't know... his threats are extremely graphic, and he proclaims in another video that he is "turned on by imagining himself as the killer"...

If you want to take a look yourselves the threats are coming from Youtube user ri394. I think they are still in his recent history. If you don't like graphic text like me, you do not want to look.

Take it as a learning experience, if something upsets you like that then just stay away from YT comments.

Thewhistlingwind
May 8th, 2011, 04:03 AM
What do death threats have to do with copyright infringement?

Absolutely nothing, I'd just heard of cases where the DMCA was used for this purpose, and it was legitimate because of clauses in the DMCA that allowed for it.

IANAL and am not qualified to give legal advice, it was just something to look into.

Take it as a learning experience, if something upsets you like that then just stay away from YT comments.

+1 The guy is a troll, you can pursue it, but the endeavour is fruitless.

Rasa1111
May 8th, 2011, 04:13 AM
yeah there are trolls all over the internet who say crap like this.
They are trolling, and looking to do exactly what they did to you..
Bother you!
It worked!

This is what trolls do.

Don't let them get ya' again! ;)

nerdopolis
May 8th, 2011, 04:20 AM
yeah there are trolls all over the internet who say crap like this.
They are trolling, and looking to do exactly what they did to you..
Bother you!
It worked!

This is what trolls do.

Don't let them get ya' again! ;)

I still can't be sure about that he's just a troll... Its not a bright idea for someone to send death threats to someone, when they have already received death threats that are under police investigation...

Shmantiv_Radio
May 8th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Hi.

Thanks.

I'm going to kill you.

akand074
May 8th, 2011, 04:34 AM
As soon as I read the original post I instantly thought "Friday - Rebecca Black" haha I'm sure it's not a legitimate threat. Don't worry about it.

Shmantiv_Radio
May 8th, 2011, 04:40 AM
As soon as I read the original post I instantly thought "Friday - Rebecca Black" haha I'm sure it's not a legitimate threat. Don't worry about it.

I hope he doesn't read all the Justin Beiber death threats, or the police are going to be busy.. x)

Elfy
May 8th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Closed.

This isn't the place for this.