PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Move menu from top panel back to its program in Unity

ianc1
May 7th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I'm getting frustrated. I decided to persist with Unity having spent until today launching in an Ubuntu Classic session. The thing that bugs me the most is the fact that each program has its menu (ie File, Edit etc) in the top panel. This may be fine for netbooks but not my laptop.

I just launched Tomboy, which startde with its window in the bottom right of the screen, however to get to the programs menu I have to move the cursor all the way to the top right of the screen - miles.

How can I move this menu back to the program? Any ideas?

Thanks

mc4man
May 7th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Do you want to move back only on specific apps or all apps?
I do the former, though if you wish to do for all then search appmenu in synaptic and remove just these 2 packages
appmenu-gtk
appmenu-qt

or this in a terminal

sudo apt-get remove appmenu-gtk appmenu-qt
Then log out/in

If you wish to do some apps individually just ask..

spamalam
May 7th, 2011, 10:50 PM
What an awful feature! It makes it fell like a crummy mac :(

Thanks for the command! This worked for most apps, but firefox is still defaulting to the docking of menus to the top panel... any idea how to fix this issue?

ajgreeny
May 7th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Not sure, but can you remove global-menu? I am not running 11.04 so am not sure if it will help, nor even if it is possible to do that.

mc4man
May 7th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Firefox uses an extension for global menu - either disable in firefox - tools -addons
or remove the extension package
firefox-globalmenu

ianc1
May 8th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Thanks everyone, I've now got the menu back as I like it and can persevere with Unity which is OK not too bad. I still dislike the fact its harder to see all applications and its less efficient (clicking find and tying program name etc).

In case anyone is interested there is also a Thunderbird package to integrate Thunderbird into Unity, it's called thunderbird-globalmenu. I've not tested it yet but I assume removal of this will revert the Thunderbird menu back to Thunderbird.

Thanks again everyone.

blueridgedog
May 9th, 2011, 06:15 AM
If you wish to do some apps individually just ask..

This would be good to know...how do you do it individually?

ianc1
May 9th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Hi

I'm unsure if this is a consequence of removing appmenu-gtk and appmenu-qt packages but whenever I start tomboy from the terminal the terminal outputs something along the lines of:
[INFO 19:50:24.487] Initializing Mono.Addinsand then hangs. The tomboy icon appears as normal on the panel.

Is this hanging because the terminal is expecting tomboy to send an exit code and I haven't closed tomboy or is it an error/bug I've introduced by removing the above packages. Any ideas?

Cheers

mc4man
May 9th, 2011, 08:52 PM
This would be good to know...how do you do it individually?
Because I do find use for the Gm in some instances so I leave it installed and -
I do it this way for apps started from menu or right click - editing the Exec= in the apps .desktop, adding blue

Ex. for gtk apps (using gedit.desktop as example

gksudo gedit /usr/share/applications/gedit.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=gedit
GenericName=Text Editor
Comment=Edit text files
Exec=env UBUNTU_MENUPROXY=0 gedit %U
..clipped

Ex. for qt apps using vlc.desktop as example

clipped...
Comment[zh_CN]=为您读取、捕获或发送多媒体流
Exec=env QT_X11_NO_NATIVE_MENUBAR=1 vlc %U
Icon=vlc
Terminal=false
clipped..

Because of the many possibilities of using/editing/creating .desktops in natty/unity I just create 2 nautilus actions specific to .desktops - Open Desktop File as Root and Open Desktop File
Makes life easy..

For adjusting cli use of an app an alias can take care of - ex. of totem

alias totem='export UBUNTU_MENUPROXY=0 && totem'

Also of minor interest is these env's can be used with quicklists, whether as add. entries for an app or as part of a group of apps
(in other words you could have a quicklist entry that uses the Gm in app A and one that doesn't in app A - many interesting possibilities there
Some Ex.'s (posts 29,34.36
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10778758#post10778758

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10765280#post10765280

(there is also a 3rd way by creating a binary diversion that affects all uses of an app - but I think not needed due to other alternatives avail.

Also note that .desktops in /usr/share/applications that have been edited are subject to an update over writing, either stash a copy or just cp to/create ones in ~/.local/share/applications or if multiple users then use /usr/local/...