PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which Distro To Use?

Daniel5
May 7th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Salutations!

So I'm currently on Ubuntu and have been wondering about changing to one of the different types of Ubuntu such as Kubuntu or Xubuntu. My Desktop PC isn't all that new in fact we bought it about six years ago. So when playing games like Minecraft the CPU fan up's it's anti after a minute or so probably due to the growing CPU pain. I don't like to admit Ubuntu's faults but it isn't the best for playing games. This also happens upon occasion when browsing the web with Firefox. Although stopping some of my desktop compiz effects have eased the burden I'd still like to have one OS for solely playing games on.

So finally the main question. What distro of Linux is the best for playing games? This search isn't just limited to different types of Ubuntu is can be other ones as well (Windows and Mac OS's need not apply).

Thanks bye!

krapp
May 7th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Salut!

Kubuntu and Xubuntu would put just about the same stress on your hardware, so you might be better off looking at the lighter offerings of Linux Mint. They have Fluxbox and LXDE versions based on Ubuntu.

Durden
May 7th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Salutations!

So I'm currently on Ubuntu and have been wondering about changing to one of the different types of Ubuntu such as Kubuntu or Xubuntu. My Desktop PC isn't all that new in fact we bought it about six years ago. So when playing games like Minecraft the CPU fan up's it's anti after a minute or so probably due to the growing CPU pain. I don't like to admit Ubuntu's faults but it isn't the best for playing games. This also happens upon occasion when browsing the web with Firefox. Although stopping some of my desktop compiz effects have eased the burden I'd still like to have one OS for solely playing games on.

So finally the main question. What distro of Linux is the best for playing games? This search isn't just limited to different types of Ubuntu is can be other ones as well (Windows and Mac OS's need not apply).

Thanks bye!

Your CPU gets taxed while playing MINECRAFT? Seriously? I think you have something more serious going on than the distro of Linux you are using.

XubuRoxMySox
May 7th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Salut!

Kubuntu and Xubuntu would put just about the same stress on your hardware...

That used to be true, but they've had Xubuntu on a serious diet lately! The newest edition is much leaner and meaner than previous ones.

Xubuntu 10.04 runs wicked fast on my aging, 6-year-old Dell Dimension even with a scant 512 of RAM.

-Robin

deltacomp
May 7th, 2011, 11:06 PM
That used to be true, but they've had Xubuntu on a serious diet lately! The newest edition is much leaner and meaner than previous ones.

Xubuntu 10.04 runs wicked fast on my aging, 6-year-old Dell Dimension even with a scant 512 of RAM.

-Robin

Agreed, as far as which distro to use for gaimng. I think it depends on what kind of gaming you are trying to do/what games you want to play. I have found that Ubuntu does not work well with some games, especially those designed for windows platforms.

I have heard of people using WINE and Crossover to install and play games on Ubuntu but I don't know how good the quality is.

Version Dependency
May 7th, 2011, 11:35 PM
I always put Lubuntu (http://lubuntu.net/) on machines with older hardware. Makes ten year old computers run like new.

XubuRoxMySox
May 8th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Y'know what else is fun and pretty easy, Xfce done superbly, or Openbox for an absolutely ultra-light and superfast desktop (just right-click anywhere on the desktop for all kindsa options, menus, etc)? Crunchbang Linux (http://crunchbanglinux.org)!

Crunchbang looks geeky and scary, but it's not! Better yet, it's built on Debian Squeeze for superb stability and reliability. A favorite for laptops.

-Robin

deconstrained
May 8th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Debian.