PDA

View Full Version : aysiu appreciation thread

briancurtin
May 13th, 2006, 04:49 AM
i dont use ubuntu currently, but i wouldnt mind a little traveling aysiu to follow me to the other distros that i use.

ive been posting on message boards for quite some time, and have gathered hundreds of thousands of posts over the years (48,000 on one site alone), and i can say that i havent seen a better, nicer, more helpful, and all around good poster on any of those sites over any of those years. this dude is everywhere, offering everything he has to the community. over the boards ive been on, ive seen people offer a whole lot and a whole lot of their lot is total crap. aysiu offers very well thought out posts attempting to remedy a problem, provide a solution, or cover any topic that comes up on here.

i only read the cafe forums now that i dont use ubuntu, but the work ive seen aysiu put in is golden.

thanks

incubus
May 13th, 2006, 05:03 AM
I agree. Aysiu is an example of participation and commitment to the forums. Exactly my opposite, I'd say.

From simple (double-posted) questions to those involving personal opinion, Aysiu is always there with a straight-to-the-point response.

Good job, Aysiu.

incubus

dralaroc
May 13th, 2006, 05:03 AM
I have to concur on that one. I pretty much hang out on a lot of music sites, productionforums (e-mu products), VS-Planet, Fantomized etc. and imho aysiu has to be the most helpful fellas I have come across in my forum travels. He does not make us new guys feel like idiots when we post a question/problem. Definitely an asset to the ubuntu forums. Ditto on the thanks!

LaRoc

richbarna
May 13th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Yeah, definitely, I have used a lot of Linux forums over the years too, and I have to agree with everyone else, aysiu has helped me a lot.
I try and google answers for newbies when I have time (I'm still a newbie too), but I must admit that aysiu has the patience of a saint.
Nice one aysiu :)
Thanks for all your help,
and keep up the good work.

ComplexNumber
May 13th, 2006, 05:12 AM
yes, i think he does a good job too. he's seems quite calm and collected in his reasoning, and he seems to want to try to see both sides to a given situation. thats a good thing.

Iandefor
May 13th, 2006, 05:53 AM
I'm really glad to have aysiu around. He, at least for me, sets a standard of behaviour I can aspire to. I really admire him.

You rock, aysiu!

aysiu
May 13th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the appreciation. I'm not sure what else to say. Thanks.

RAV TUX
May 13th, 2006, 06:26 AM

aysui you are awesome, without your help I would have never figured out how to get gmusicbrowser working.

http://squentin.free.fr/gmusicbrowser/gmusicbrowser.html

Also Thank you for helping me on my non-Ubuntu projects also it is all greatly appreciated.

You are the embodiment of Ubuntu.
:mrgreen:

prizrak
May 13th, 2006, 07:49 AM
I would have to agree with the rest. Although I don't use forums for technical advice much (got lucky with hardware) I love reading his posts like the well intentioned troll and some others.
We glad to have you here man :)

Wolki
May 13th, 2006, 08:50 AM
It's awesome how much effort aysiu puts into helping people here without losing his patience. Thanks!

mstlyevil
May 13th, 2006, 08:51 AM
aysiu is da bomb.

GeneralZod
May 13th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Yep; he's been a truly great asset to the community. Bravo! :D

Lux Perpetua
May 13th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Three cheers, A. Y. This forum wouldn't be what it is without you.

angkor
May 13th, 2006, 12:40 PM
=D>

Amen to that!

henriquemaia
May 13th, 2006, 12:43 PM
I join you in this. He's (you're) a good exemple on how this community should work.

mostwanted
May 13th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Hear hear!

aysiu does a great job helping newbies out and is no doubt the no. 1 sticky writer on these boards. He is very much appreciated.

Jucato
May 13th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Just can't help posting to this thread (even if I've been away from Linux for more than a month due to hardware problems).

aysiu's posts and articles have been a tremendous help to me when I began using Linux a few months ago. His patience in helping out others is commendable.

Thanks aysiu! You're one of the people who makes the Ubuntu community great!

aktiwers
May 13th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I must agree.. I really enjoy reading your posts aysiu. And are very thankful for your help.

When I think of the Ubuntu Forums, that Cat avatar also flashes infront of my eyes :D

Thanks!

fuscia
May 13th, 2006, 02:03 PM
aysiu reminds me of santa claus. i think "how can one guy come down all those chimnies in that amount of time?"

aysiu
May 13th, 2006, 06:28 PM
aysiu reminds me of santa claus. i think "how can one guy come down all those chimnies in that amount of time?" Ah, that's what I use all my Ubuntu elves for...

matthew
May 13th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Hear, hear!! aysiu is a great asset to these forums and an all around good guy whose posts are continually among the best here. He asks intelligent questions and explains his thoughts in an erudite and yet clear manner. I would love to have him as chief technical writer (or just chief writer) for any project I was a part of.

Thanks for being who you are, aysiu. We truly appreciate you and your contributions!

cotcot
May 13th, 2006, 08:54 PM
I also appreciate aysiu help on the forum very much. Not aggressive, correct, neutral, balanced, devoted, very nice avatar, kde-user also answering gnome questions, .................................................
THANKS A LOT !!!

Biltong (Dee)
May 13th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Ah, that's what I use all my Ubuntu elves for...
Can I hire one? Y' Know, you gotta sleep sometime. :-D

DSn0wMan
May 13th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Kudos to aysui.

I am new to ubuntu, and have found aysui's posts very helpful. The Ubuntu forums are a big reason I am sticking with Ubuntu, rather than use Fedora, or Suse.

Thanks goes to all the Ubuntu community for making this distro the best (IMHO). Hopefully I learn quickly so I can contribute. This whole community thing is cool.

aysiu
May 13th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Thanks goes to all the Ubuntu community for making this distro the best (IMHO). Hopefully I learn quickly so I can contribute. This whole community thing is cool. This is more of what we need. aysiu appreciates the appreciation, but I am not the community, and I was not what impressed me when I first joined the forums--it was other forum members who helped me.

Oh, and, no, the elves can't be loaned out. Sorry.

Master Shake
May 14th, 2006, 03:30 AM
Some fun facts about Aysiu --

Once shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.

Inspired the motion picture "Easy Rider"

Helped co-write most of Michael Jackson's greatest hits.

Played a bit part as the zombie who gets his head chopped off by a helicopter blade in George Romero's brilliant "Dawn of the Dead"

Single handedly ridded the world of The Plauge.

Has on several seperate occasions given his life so that others may live.

Thanks, Aysiu!

On the real, your posts show real wisdom. Sure your name isn't Solomon?

Iandefor
May 14th, 2006, 03:51 AM
Single handedly ridded the world of The Plauge.
He took his time. First instance of the Plague in Europe in 1346, last known instance at some point in the mid-19th century.

zubrug
May 14th, 2006, 04:11 AM
Truly an inspiration, yourself and others are simply great forum citizens.

really enjoy my time here!

TeeAhr1
May 14th, 2006, 04:16 AM
I'll get on this bandwagon. To date I've started 56 threads, and I bet aysiu has been a responder to half of them. And I know I'm not alone. Hey aysiu, remember when I asked you if you sleep? This is what I meant. You are a huge boon to this community, and you deserve every bit of acclaim you get. Thanks.

benplaut
May 14th, 2006, 04:17 AM
nobody is as patient as ayisu, and nobody is as inoffensive... you just plain rock!

who here thinks that ayisu deserves a special title, aside from the current beanie of the month?

Iandefor
May 14th, 2006, 04:19 AM
nobody is as patient as ayisu, and nobody is as inoffensive... you just plain rock!

who here thinks that ayisu deserves a special title, aside from the current beanie of the month? lol. Interesting idea. "Saint Aysiu." :)

briancurtin
May 14th, 2006, 06:22 AM
he once scissor kicked angela lansbury

byen
May 14th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Everyone here has already said what I wanted to say! But I just want to add my "Thank you" to you Aysiu. Thanks for all the patience and the knowledge. as mstlyevil put it ..You are the Bomb!
SALUT!

who here thinks that ayisu deserves a special title, aside from the current beanie of the month?
I second that! A Special Title would be NICE!

~byen

amunimanghi
May 14th, 2006, 06:59 AM
yes, aysui has helped me a lot. dont remeber though. :p thanks for your time and effort. im suggesting a plaque of some sort maybe?

nalmeth
May 14th, 2006, 09:42 AM
I saw this thread earlier, but now think I should chip in.

Asiyu deserves due credit

When I'm in the Absolute Beginner's area, I like to think that giving that extra effort to help a person makes all the difference in making Ubuntu/Linux spread, and having more people able to use it. I have inherited this thinking from asiyu.

There are a lot of people who try a linux distro, out of sheer curiousity, and get sent running back (tail between legs) over such small things, having not known where to turn.

Just being there with a useful link, a friendly greeting, and some helpful explanation and assurance only spreads confidence in new users, who find they can be comfortable outside of Window's, and in turn want to help aswell.

You make all the difference asiyu, you have personally helped me out numerous times, and your volunteered effort and kindness pay dividens. You have inspired me and many others, you are appreciated

Thank you

encompass
September 21st, 2006, 01:03 PM
I was looking for a post by you and found this. It is true... your signiture s link to your homepage... a vast knowledge base of information that I refer to more than my own information. Thanks for your help!

insane_alien
September 21st, 2006, 01:06 PM
If it wasn't for aysiu i would still be on XP and thinking linux was teh suxx0r. now i know better. thanks dude.

TheMono
September 21st, 2006, 01:12 PM
How have I missed this thread for so long? I tried to PM aysiu to thank them*... but that's blocked.... there's no email address provided....

Finally my oppurtunity though! Thanks a lot. You're an utter legend.

* - I'm aware that 'them' sounds weird... But I simply don't know a gender... some of the essays on the site would tend to imply a woman, but I haven't a clue. However, thanks to aysiu anyway!

Brunellus
September 21st, 2006, 03:26 PM
I nominate aysiu for 'community hero'

TravisNewman
September 21st, 2006, 04:07 PM
I don't think "community hero" is asking too much. Seriously, without aysiu's 15000 or so posts, we'd have to hire on extra help. :)

DoctorMO
September 21st, 2006, 05:09 PM
I do not agree! I think aysiu is an ubuntu bot, coded by Trivell to add the requested information. :-$

He's a complex bit of code, I'll give him that.

henriquemaia
September 21st, 2006, 05:13 PM
http://static.flickr.com/96/249097254_28aa3e1d07.jpg

John.Michael.Kane
September 21st, 2006, 05:43 PM
Wow,and i thought ubuntuforums was a team effort..

Shay Stephens
September 21st, 2006, 05:56 PM
What I appreciate about aysiu is his consistancy, humility, and good natured attitude. It makes learning pleasant. It makes it easier for the newby to get started. I noticed his posts very early on as a source that could be trusted to point me in the right direction.

And while I do realize there are many posters who do similar, I do want to chime in on this thread to recognize his contributions and let him know that they have been very beneficial and appreciated by me and obviously others as well.

jimrz
September 22nd, 2006, 03:23 AM

no more need be said. there are many of us here, myself included, to whom you are the personification of the spirit of these forums and a great example of what they can be at their very best. thank you for all of your efforts and for the thoughts that you share with us.

ubuntu_demon
September 22nd, 2006, 10:28 AM
thanks aysiu for being a great help to this community ! :)

raul_
October 13th, 2006, 07:12 PM
=D> i subscribe

PS: Is it just me or he's like God? :-k he seems to know every single thread, and when u post something, 2 minutes later he's there with a link. I've been a member of a ton of forums and I can say that this guy rocks!:mrgreen:

aysiu
October 13th, 2006, 07:24 PM
I'm not like a God, but I am like Santa Claus. I have bunch of Ubuntu elves working for me.

justaguynpc
October 13th, 2006, 07:29 PM
He's truly a pillar in the Ubuntu community. If browsing through threads, only half reading, I run across that "orange cat", I have to stop and read what aysiu has to say on the topic.

Aysiu is the embodiment of Ubuntu, it's philosophy, as well as it's karisma.

Cheers

BTW, how do you pronounce "aysiu"? 8)

justin whitaker
October 13th, 2006, 07:30 PM
The man rocks. Pure. Simple.

aysiu
October 13th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Those are my initials and last name--A Y Siu

dddouglas
October 13th, 2006, 07:32 PM
When I first read this thread I thought to be a bit corny
http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php
still do but that cool.

justaguynpc
October 13th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Those are my initials and last name--A Y Siu

OIC ....................... Never knew that!

raul_
October 13th, 2006, 07:38 PM
I already made my testimonial, but i have a request..could u give me that terminal page u used to have in ur signature (i think it was u, if not, i apoligise)

aysiu
October 13th, 2006, 07:42 PM
I think the terminal page is still in my signature--I just may have changed the name:
http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/terminal

raul_
October 13th, 2006, 07:44 PM
hummm it wasn't that one. It was a big page called THE TERMINAL or something like that. if i google it the only thing that comes up is the movie =P maybe it wasn't on your signature, sorry

aysiu
October 13th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Yeah, that's not me. I'm flattered there's an appreciation thread for me, but there are a lot of helpful people on these forums, and a lot of good signatures.

justin whitaker
October 13th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Yeah, that's not me. I'm flattered there's an appreciation thread for me, but there are a lot of helpful people on these forums, and a lot of good signatures.

Don't worry, we'll get to them too. ;)

Iandefor
October 14th, 2006, 07:19 AM
I'm not like a God, but I am like Santa Claus. I have bunch of Ubuntu elves working for me. Do they at least get paid a decent wage? I mean, I've never heard of Santa Claus's elves getting paid at all.

aysiu
October 14th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Do they at least get paid a decent wage? I mean, I've never heard of Santa Claus's elves getting paid at all.
Of course not. My "shop" is like Debian--all volunteer.

Get back to work, lazy elf! (*cracks whip*)

.t.
October 14th, 2006, 10:30 AM
I just wanted to show my appreciation as well. Thanks to aysiu!

Littleweseth
October 14th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Great kudos to you, aysiu.

PriceChild
October 14th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Thanks for all your great guides at http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php

I can't begin to imagine how many people they've helped!

krypto_wizard
October 16th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Aysiu rocks!!!

He has been of help to all of us somewhere.

Thanks Aysiu for being so nice.

Not-a-geek
November 20th, 2006, 02:46 PM
A week ago, I came here looking for help in sorting out a firefox 2 issue. aysiu pointed me to a script that did exactly what i needed. So, thank you, aysiu. Not-a-geek is now able to use all the extensions and themes her little heart desires!

ReaderRat
November 20th, 2006, 03:29 PM
And, Thank you for your Psychocats Tutorials (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index). They have helped a lot of people.

Kudos to aysiu

navneeth
November 20th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Hear, hear!

paul6
November 20th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Thank you aiysu :)

KernelKen
January 5th, 2007, 06:23 AM
I am really new to Ubuntu and have been searching for threads that aysiu has posted simply to speed my learning process of Linux. You are one reason that Ubuntu / Linux could become the distro of choice and or be offered with all new PC's..

Also if you look it appears that at any given time he has posted or replied to a thread within the last few hours. I don't think he sleeps.

Keep up the good work, and Thank you.

d3v1ant_0n3
January 5th, 2007, 06:34 AM
You do some great work aysiu:D

I've learned a great deal from both your writing and your posting style. Your guides are invaluable to newcomers- Concise without being dumbed down or overly techy. You're stunningly impartial in some of the Windows Sucks Boo Yah! type threads, and I've seen you blow trolls out from under the bridge with nothing but a well reasoned, calm comeback.

Keep it up:D You're probably responsible from a large number of the people who've stuck with the Ub when things seem scary at first, and probably deserve a kickback from Lord Shuttleworth;)

*EDIT* I hit send before I realised I left this off:

All the mods here do wonderful work. This is BY FAR the busiest forum I've seen, and I'm sure there's a hell of a lot of posts we normal users never get to see because of the mods great work. Spam is removed fast, and the mods' work is very well reasoned and far from the draconian behaviour or boys club nature I've seen on some Forums. HURRAH FOR THE MODS!

Johnsie
January 5th, 2007, 06:36 AM
nice work mate

The Noble
January 5th, 2007, 06:40 AM
I would have to agree that aysiu is one of (if not the best) posters I have ever seen, and I am really glad that he is a mod now. Thanks for always being there!

steven8
January 5th, 2007, 06:43 AM
I think it's safe to say that aysiu leads the forum in all catagories except most quoted in Signatures. That goes to fuscia.

Well done, aysiu!!

oyvindaa
January 5th, 2007, 11:22 AM
I think aysiu's doing a great job helping people in the forums. His website is also great for both beginners and others. Keep up the good work mate :)

roderikk
January 5th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks for all your hard work! I guess using a fast windowmanager like icewm leaves you with much time to help other people! Maybe I should consider using it more often too ;-).

.t.
January 6th, 2007, 12:02 AM
He has elves...
<_<
>_>

wersdaluv
January 7th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Since the start, I've been wondering if this guy does something else. I mean, being a mod in the forums definitely is not his day job. I doubt if he gets something out of answering newbies' questions. Whenever I go online, he's there to help.

This is for sure, what he is doing definitely rocks, he has the Ubuntu spirit in him and having 10 aysius means conquering Bug #1 (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1)!

OldTimeTech
January 7th, 2007, 06:14 AM
I want to thank aysiu also....I posted a question on his website and even though that's not a usual thing, he did answer with a great explanation, I was truly pleased to learn something without being looked down upon.

I also want to say that I enjoy most of the posts in this forum, by one and all......

neoflight
January 8th, 2007, 07:57 PM
may be he could teach
optimization 501,
time management 1001 (may be you guys dont know... there are 21 different aysius !!!)
aggressiveness 101 courses and
write a book on 15000 habits of highly effective people :mrgreen:

tribaal
January 8th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Yeah, cheers Aysiu :)

- trib'

Viva
September 22nd, 2009, 04:07 PM
I was about to create a similar thread and found this. I whole heartedly agree with the OP. Ayisu is awesome.

RiceMonster
September 22nd, 2009, 04:09 PM
old thread is old

Elfy
September 22nd, 2009, 04:12 PM
Indeed it is.