PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Power Perfromance in Laptop

1991sudarshan
May 7th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Hello,

Can anybody tell me about the power performance of Ubuntu 11.04 on dell laptops? I heard that ubuntu 11.04 drains the battery in just one hour! This fact made me to give up installing ubuntu 11.04! Please give me the real facts!

Thank you

ngubk
May 7th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I've used UBuntu 11.04 from the first day. The battery is roughly the same with 10.10 on my HP laptop (i use battery a lot and don't even recognize the difference).

mikewhatever
May 7th, 2011, 03:27 PM
It's impossible to give the 'real facts' because no one here has access to such vast statistical data as battery life on Dell laptops running Ubuntu. I'd expect Dell laptops with different hardware and batteries to have different battery lives.
Try to ask a more specific question, perhaps about a specific laptop model and user case.

eyedeal
June 3rd, 2011, 11:57 AM
Just my $.2:

On Inspiron N5110, Ubuntu consumes my battery in less than 1.5hr, whereas on Windows 7 it can work as long as 3hours, sometimes more if built-in nVidia GPU is never activated. (Mind you, that's 3hours complete with constant WiFi activity (chat, email, weather, etc) and apps fully loaded + AERO interface.)

I'm not a nuclear scientist, but 50% work time on battery compared to Win7 is pretty extreme.

EDIT: Before this turns into a flame war, I'd like to point out that I still like having Linux on my box better than anything else, after almost 5 years of running Linux exclusively.

<rant>Hasn't this always been one of Ubuntu's weak spots?</rant>

EDIT2: If your power performance is absolutely critical, I'd suggest you go with Windows rather than Linux. I'm not aware of any distro that can beat Windows in that respect, because hardware vendors will have better drivers for this in most cases. Of course, I could be wrong... not an expert or anything. However, the overall system performance on Windows 7 is appalling. For me, it was so bad I wiped it clean off my HDD as soon as I got around the nVidia Optimus issue, and am very happy with the choice even if it means I have cables attached to my laptop most of the time.

Baumbart
June 3rd, 2011, 12:19 PM
I don't know if you are aware that a major kernel bug can cause this problem.

It's well documented (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_mobile_uffda&num=1)and marked as high importance (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTM3NQ). So hopefully they'll fix that soon.