PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot Screen doesn't appear anymore

Elite6809
May 7th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Hello everyone. I'm fairly new to Ubuntu and I like it a lot. However, there's a graphical error which started to happen after the very first bootup. The startup screen (the purple one with the 5 dots that appear) isn't showing anymore. It is replaced by some console technical guff scrolling down my screen (which isn't a problem, because Ubuntu itself works fine, but it just looks a bit rough). Again, on shutdown, it displays some amalgamated mix of more technical jargon, and a terribly lo-res version of the shutdown screen.
Is there any way I can fix this?
Thanks for replying.

Vuk Serbia
May 7th, 2011, 12:13 PM
While I was using Ubuntu 10.10 this happened to me after I installed ATI drivers.
I don't have this problem with 11.4.
Which release are you using?

Elite6809
July 8th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Sorry for the bump - it's been a while now and I know a hell of a lot more about Ubuntu. I'm on Natty and I reckon it's a problem with Plymouth and nVidia proprietary drivers.

Blasphemist
July 8th, 2011, 11:53 PM
You'll need to do some grub edits as natty changed the handoff of video modes between bios, grub, the kernel and X. Please see this thread, mainly the first 3 posts for troubleshooting your issue and making the changes. You'll be able to try things with temporary edits and when you find the right thing, you can make them permanent.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535

Elite6809
July 9th, 2011, 12:01 PM
You'll need to do some grub edits as natty changed the handoff of video modes between bios, grub, the kernel and X. Please see this thread, mainly the first 3 posts for troubleshooting your issue and making the changes. You'll be able to try things with temporary edits and when you find the right thing, you can make them permanent.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535

Thanks! I installed startupmanager and it fixed my problems. Thanks to you!