PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No Initrd - there's something strange?

lewisdeane
May 7th, 2011, 05:17 AM
I've just upgraded from Maverick to Natty (don't you find these names irritating?) and although I seem to have 2.38.8-img I have no initrd so I have to boot into 2.6.32.28 - whats going on? And secondly, and maybe related, I have no classic or any other version of the desktop? What's going on? Is it my upgrade?

lewisdeane
May 7th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Serves me right for trusting Cannonical - I should have downloaded the CD as usual - of course, I backed up my LTS lucid with a 'self image' so I'll be ok and now downloading the CD. But I just thought I'd test Cannonicals new reputed 'user friendliness'. What larks!

|{urse
May 7th, 2011, 05:25 AM
It's spelled canonical.

lewisdeane
May 7th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Thank God for multi-boot? But what would a newbie do? Despair!:confused:

lewisdeane
May 7th, 2011, 05:29 AM
O thanks mate! You're a real help! Any other spelling mistakes or grammatical errors and I'll come to you!

|{urse
May 7th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Not a problem big guy. =) I'm here if you need me. I'm sure someone will post something helpful for you soon. If you want faster help (well, sometimes it's faster) visit the #ubuntu irc channel on freenode. You posted then waited a whole 4 minutes before saying angry things about canonical.

lewisdeane
May 7th, 2011, 05:41 AM
Sorry friend - I just lost my rag - first the upgrade seems to have gone wrong - and, as I say, I was sort of testing Canonicals new suppossed 'user friendliness' - and, of course, I use the old trusted grub and script! - and, secondly, when trying to ask a question here, of course, I'd forgotten my efing password - what an idiot. Besides two tank fulls of cider! So I apologise!

lewisdeane
May 7th, 2011, 05:45 AM
I'm always afraid, needlessly, of irc?!

lewisdeane
May 7th, 2011, 06:07 AM
And, now, what have I done? Downloading Natty using puppy and forgetting to mount the drive I was downloading it to, Opera shows it was downloaded, I know it was downloaded but where the hell is it? No where to be seen! What a clunk! What a drunk clunk! Goodnight!