PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Which Ubuntu 11.04 to install on Inspiron 14R?

murphyac
May 7th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Hello,
I just got a Dell Inspiron 14R (N4010) laptop with Windows 7 installed. My processor is a Core i3 and I have 4 Gb memory and a 500 Gb hard disk. I have created a 100 Gb partition on the hard disk and I wish to install Ubuntu 11.04 on this partition and dual boot with Windows7.
Ubuntu 11.04 comes in 2 versions, the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version. Which of these should I download and install? On my Dell Dimension desktop, I have Ubuntu 11.04, 32-bit version, dual booting with Windows XP, Service Pack 3. This has worked well for me. I started with 10.04 and performed successive version upgrades, and all went well.
I've never dealt with a 64-bit operating system before Windows 7, and I'm not sure where to go from here. Of course I will back up everything I have on the laptop before installing anything new, but I'd like some advice on how to proceed.
I'd be very grateful for some help with this.
Angela C. Murphy:confused:

Dutch70
May 7th, 2011, 04:49 AM
Hi Angela

I would definitely go with the 64-bit version if your computer is capable.

You will need to shrink your hdd from within windows to leave room to create partitions for Ubuntu. There are plenty of tutorials on the net that will help you shrink your hdd. You'll need to do things like defrag, turn off system restore, but it's best you follow a tutorial.

You will also need to make sure you don't already have 4 primary partitions.

What else do you need to know?

murphyac
May 9th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I decided to go with the 64-bit. Tried it from the live CD, and was OK with what I saw. I used Windows partitioning software to create a partition for the OS and one for swap, before trying to install. The installation, using the "something else" option went well. There is a problem with the brightness keys, but this is a known bug, and I will be trying the solution offered in the Dell Support forum.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Angela Murphy