PDA

View Full Version : Help with an article on Linux

timZZ
May 7th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Hi,

I have been a long term Linux user and I love ubuntu for it's simplicity.

I have a blog (http://timszaboblog.com) and like any prominate blogger you want to focus on something you enjoy.

Since the blog is technology related ... Linux is my next topic.

However I am not sure what I love about Linux will truely port over well to someone learning Linux.

I know a lot of new users come to this forum, which is exactly the view I am looking for.

More importantly Ubuntu has a strong conversion from windows more so than any other "flavour" of Linux.

If you have a moment.

1. What tools did you find useful?
2. Why did you adventure to make the switch to Linux?
3. What challenges did you have?

For the more advanced users.

1. What case could you make to bring Ubuntu / Linux to office computing?

I appreciate anyones help.

Thank you.

vanquishedangel
May 7th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Hi,

I have been a long term Linux user and I love ubuntu for it's simplicity.

I have a blog (http://timszaboblog.com) and like any prominate blogger you want to focus on something you enjoy.

Since the blog is technology related ... Linux is my next topic.

However I am not sure what I love about Linux will truely port over well to someone learning Linux.

I know a lot of new users come to this forum, which is exactly the view I am looking for.

More importantly Ubuntu has a strong conversion from windows more so than any other "flavour" of Linux.

If you have a moment.

For the more advanced users.

1. What case could you make to bring Ubuntu / Linux to office computing?

I appreciate anyones help.

Thank you.

1.Well I loved ubuntu tweak and the repository ability, in windows you have to manually update all added programs, in linux you can add the repository and update it with your computer, though it takes some learning. not to mention the amount of available software that is at your finger tips, no need to search the internet and risk viruses.

2.I got tired of the spyware, viruses, and heavy maintenance.
Also Linux is way lighter on computers as well, so no need to buy the latest greatest computer to run the latest OS. It is also very energy efficient compared to windows.

3. there were many challenges back in the day lol, most of wich are not there now. I would say the hardest challenge is the amount of choice there is in Linux, to decide what desktop or what application is best can be frightening, especially since there really is no solid comparisons out there with performance and resource usage.

4. As for office computing there is a program for every windows program for Linux, and actually Linux does it better, faster, and cheaper in my opinion. they could improve the libreoffice for college users for their papers, like a cite plugin for libreoffice would be stellar.

Idaho Dan
May 7th, 2011, 03:37 AM
Hi timZZ,
I have been using Ubuntu in the office where I work for 3 years now and won't go back to windows.
I found Ubuntu in 2008 looking for an alternative to windows and was pleasantly surprised. Sure it was a change, but that is just what I was looking for.
At that time the thing that cinched it for me was open office. It had everything I needed to be able to use Ubuntu at work.
I'm not a computer programmer and I don't have any training what so ever, but that's the great thing about Ubuntu. I have at my disposal this wonderful forum to help me and guide me.
The thing that really makes me happy is that I have so many more options with Ubuntu than I ever had with windows.
Unity is a change that I'm getting used to. But isn't it a wonderful thing that I don't have to use it if I don't want to!

Thewhistlingwind
May 7th, 2011, 03:53 AM
The concepts in Linux that got me to look into it:

1. Dual boot
2. Live CD
3. Having my own install CD, without the burdens of product keys.

If these weren't Linux features, I wouldn't be here.

Emphasise them.

EDIT: This whole adventure started for want of a windows install CD....

slooksterpsv
May 7th, 2011, 04:17 AM

Kdenlive - for video editing
Eclipse - for Java and Python programming
Ubuntu Software Center - for finding programs
Exaile - awesome lightweight media player
Gimp - amazing photoshop-like editor (a bit of a learning curve)
Shotwell - photo management

Antivirus keeps slowing down the computer, and I like to program in my spare time. With Windows I find I have to setup tons of programs just to do basic things, yet with Ubuntu I can just install all the software I need from one area, plus it tasks my system less, runs faster, and I do more in Linux than on Windows.
Also, I do a lot of Virtualizing with VirtualBox and under Windows I have less memory to allocate to VBox vs Ubuntu (even with 10 firefox tabs, exaile, email, etc. open)

Biggest challenge, which was minor at best, was getting the headphone jack on my Gateway NV53 to work in 10.04 and 10.10. It's been fixed in 11.04.

4. What case could you make to bring Ubuntu / Linux to office computing?

As for Office Computing, using Ubuntu/Linux can cut costs for antivirus, computer maintenance, office suites, email clients. It's most beneficial if you're not using proprietary system programs (e.g. Windows only applications) and are using more Web-based applications. It can be setup in an LDAP environment and integrates with existing Windows Servers for separate home folders, network share access, etc.

ngronewold
May 7th, 2011, 04:59 AM
1. OpenOffice (now LibreOffice), the Software Center, good photo managers, and Rhythmbox was good but Banshee is a lot better.

2. My Windows Vista machine kept crashing and bugging and I got sick of it, but didn't want to give Big Brother another nickel to replace the OS, so I did some research and discovered Ubuntu 9.10. I used to work in a computer engineering lab and was familiar with Linux, but back then it was strictly for programmers and super geeks, not for lay users like me.

Ubuntu was a pleasant surprise and I've been upgrading ever since and now have 11.04, which is amazing. There's no turning back for me now. I've struggled some with getting the wireless working, but by fixing those bugs I've learned a lot about how my PC actually works, making me better at using computers overall.

3. Hardware compatibility, namely getting the wireless card to work after 2 upgrades. Land line always worked, and by using this Forum I eventually solved the wireless problem. I'm also having trouble getting Citrix to work. Mainly there are still too few hardware and software makers that cater to the Linux crowd, but that's starting to change.

4. LibreOffice suite works fine, has everything you need. And it's free! Also I've had zero virus or malware issues.

Sef
May 7th, 2011, 05:02 AM
Moved to the cafe.

leviathan8
May 7th, 2011, 09:23 AM

1. Science applications! Fraqtive, Kalzium, Marble, Stellarium, Step, Qalcualte! and much more of them in the repo's.
2. Customization! I love dark colors, and windows never gave me an option to change my themes. So when I was first introduced to Ubuntu, and found the Customization menu in 2 clicks, I felt in love. In addition, I went through hundred of setups of panels.
3. Crashes with my laptop -- solved!

timZZ
May 7th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Amazing responses everyone thank you very much.

timZZ
May 7th, 2011, 07:35 PM
The responses are great .. I should also add I am looking to quote people within the Blog.

Thewhistlingwind
May 7th, 2011, 10:22 PM
The responses are great .. I should also add I am looking to quote people within the Blog.

Well, to be more specific about why those features are important. When I used windows as my primary OS, I never felt like I "Owned" a piece of software, I had never made recovery disks, and install disks didn't come with the computer.

The software that was "on" my computer didn't really feel "soft" either, it felt brittle, like something that too much force in either direction other then straight would break irreparably.

I don't have this feeling with a Linux install, Linux is fast to install, and hard to break without following bad advice or doing it intentionally. If for nothing else every windows user should have a live-CD on their shelf, it's a great way to recover your data as long as the disk still spins.

I talk about these things to windows users. And they tell me "You can get a windows boot CD!" "You can make a recovery disk!" and as far as I know, they're right. But tell me, how many windows users have these things on their shelves? How many Linux users have the equivalents on theirs?

I know when I was the former, I had neither.

Hope it helps.

timZZ
May 8th, 2011, 04:42 AM
It absolutely helps.

timZZ
May 9th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your help.

Link to the article: http://timszaboblog.com/is-linux-ready-to-be-used-from-within-home-and-office-computing-see-what-others-had-to-say-focused-on-ubuntu/

My intention is to provide a prelude to someone's interest in Linux.

I find most people are failing to convert to Linux because of the lack of detail -or- more so the stereotypes that come with Linux.

*You must be a computer programmer to work with Linux*

I really felt by grabbing opinions from actual users on this forum will send a powerful message to future viewers.

By giving details of how Linux could integrate well for a personal computer with examples lets the user have a step up from the start line.

I.e. Providing the reader with points of interest to continue the investigation.

Changing a persons perception or fear isn't going to end with a Blog.

My intent is that I have provided enough information for the new prospect Linux user to ask questions that may result in the user coming to this community.

More so to this topic through a link on my Blog, with a discussion that is pre-started.

Again! Thank you everyone.