PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)

asynchronous13
May 7th, 2011, 02:15 AM
After upgrading to 10.04 LTS, I get the following error and the computer does not boot.

kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on
unknown block(0,0)

This is an older laptop, a Dell Inspiron 8600. It's been running Ubuntu since 8.xx, with periodic updates.

The computer boots from a live CD without trouble. The hard drive appears to be completely fine, no problems mounting it while running from the live cd.

I set up a chroot on the existing drive, updated the installed programs (apt-get update && apt-get upgrade), and tried to get grub to install to the drive. grub-install ran and exited with the message that no errors had occurred.

After reboot:

kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on
unknown block(0,0)

So, no change. I noticed that /boot/grub/grub.cfg has "set root='(hd0,1)'", but the only bootable partition is /dev/sda1 . should that correspond to root='(hd0,0)' ?

any tips or ideas would be appreciated.

drs305
May 7th, 2011, 02:22 AM
The hard drive designation is correct for the way Grub 2 accounts for things.

At the Grub menu (hold SHIFT if you don't see it), press 'c' to get to the command prompt. Type the following to see what Grub2 can find:

ls # Should show your drives and partitions hd0,1=sda1
ls (hd0,1)/ # Should include 'vmlinuz' and 'initrd'
ls (hd0,1)/boot/grub # Should see a lot of *.mod files

From a LiveCD, if you can download the boot info script from the following site it can tell us a lot about your boot files. Run the script, then post the contents of RESULTS.txt.

http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net

PS. The next time you boot, you might want to check the BIOS to see what size it reports for your hard drive. If it displays something considerably less than your actual drive size, that could be a problem.

asynchronous13
May 7th, 2011, 02:32 AM
The hard drive designation is correct for the way Grub 2 accounts for things.

At the Grub menu (hold SHIFT if you don't see it), press 'c' to get to the command prompt. Type the following to see what Grub2 can find:

ls # Should show your drives and partitions hd0,1=sda1
ls (hd0,1)/ # Should include 'vmlinuz' and 'initrd'
ls (hd0,1)/boot/grub # Should see a lot of *.mod files

From a LiveCD, if you can download the boot info script from the following site it can tell us a lot about your boot files. Run the script, then post the contents of RESULTS.txt.

http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net

PS. The next time you boot, you might want to check the BIOS to see what size it reports for your hard drive. If it displays something considerably less than your actual drive size, that could be a problem.

Here's the RESULTS.TXT

============================= Boot Info Summary: ==============================

=> Grub 2 is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks on the same drive in
partition #1 for /boot/boot/grub.

sda1: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: ext4
Boot sector type: -
Boot sector info:
Operating System: Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS
Boot files/dirs: /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab /boot/grub/core.img

sda2: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: Extended Partition
Boot sector info:

sda5: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: swap
Boot sector info:

=========================== Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda ___________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition Boot Start End Size Id System

/dev/sda1 * 2,048 617,611,263 617,609,216 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 617,613,310 625,141,759 7,528,450 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 617,613,312 625,141,759 7,528,448 82 Linux swap / Solaris

blkid -c /dev/null: __________________________________________________ __________

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/loop0 squashfs
/dev/sda1 c96227eb-1464-41db-bba1-867e0ceed96d ext4
/dev/sda2: PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/sda5 0ec0e0b6-d685-41e6-921c-4d453a0ecb47 swap
/dev/sda: PTTYPE="dos"

============================ "mount | grep ^/dev output: ===========================

Device Mount_Point Type Options

aufs / aufs (rw)
/dev/sr0 /cdrom iso9660 (ro,noatime)
/dev/loop0 /rofs squashfs (ro,noatime)
/dev/sda1 /media/c96227eb-1464-41db-bba1-867e0ceed96d ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks)

I'll check the BIOS on the next reboot -- seems odd that an upgrade would change bios settings though. Will also try the grub menu. thanks for the ideas.

drs305
May 7th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Try this. Grub is looking in /boot/boot/grub instead of /boot/grub. If the files are intact, this might be all that is required.

From a LiveCD:

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
Do not put the partition number in the second command.
Reboot.

Note: the upgrade wouldn't have changed the BIOS, but for some older motherboards it could move the boot files outside the disk area seen by BIOS and Grub. I don't think that is your situation.

asynchronous13
May 7th, 2011, 02:58 AM
Try this. Grub is looking in /boot/boot/grub instead of /boot/grub. If the files are intact, this might be all that is required.

From a LiveCD:

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
Do not put the partition number in the second command.
Reboot.

Note: the upgrade wouldn't have changed the BIOS, but for some older motherboards it could move the boot files outside the disk area seen by BIOS and Grub. I don't think that is your situation.

Progress! sort of. That time I got a grub menu prompt automatically instead of the previous error.

all of the "ls" commands checked out appropriately.

BIOS indicates 130GB or so. It is a 320GB drive (it's been running like this for a couple of years now)

You might have found my mistake, I'm pretty sure I used --root-directory=/mnt/boot last time. Will try again!

asynchronous13
May 7th, 2011, 03:15 AM
Holy cow, I think this whole thing could be summarized with "I didn't know to use <shift> to get the grub menu."

Ran grub-install again and after reboot got back to the same error as before. Shift key on bootup brought up the grub menu immediately. My computer chokes on kernel 2.6.32-29. Now that I can get the boot menu, it's easy to pick an older one that works. It turns out that I could have done that at any time. Ugh.

(and wouldn't you know it, update manager wants to install a new kernel!)

thanks for the help! will mark solved.

drs305
May 7th, 2011, 03:17 AM
BIOS indicates 130GB or so. It is a 320GB drive (it's been running like this for a couple of years now)

The RESULTS.txt was incomplete, but that could be because it couldn't find the files in /boot. It's only important in that if your BIOS only sees 137GB and your /boot files end up past that point, your boot will fail. If I could have seen the normal RESULTS.txt I would have checked to see if your Ubuntu partition is within the first 137GB of the disk. That's the easiest way to ensure the BIOS limitation never affects your Ubuntu boot.

jiapei100
January 4th, 2013, 07:33 AM
I met exactly the same issue.
I'm actually building a system using LFS. However, I've got no idea how to produce a initrd, but I've already built a vmlinuz ... Is it a must to build my own initrd? How to produce such a file?

Cheers
Pei

drs305
January 5th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Pei,

It would be best to start your own thread, as this one is pretty old and you probably won't get many viewers of your post.

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but in general you can rebuild an initrd.img by running the following command, replacing the kernel version with the one you want to update:

sudo update-initramfs -c -k 3.2.0-35-generic

ager-wick
January 8th, 2013, 01:55 AM
I know this is an ancient thread, but I just got this error message today upon rebooting a server. For the benefit of others who may have gotten it for the same reason, the cause was very simple: the /boot partition was out of disk space!

So all I did to fix the problem was:
- hold down shift while booting so the grub menu shows up
- boot using another kernel (not the first one)
- check if you're out of disk space on /boot using

df
Look for the line that ends in "/boot". Mine said something like this:

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 233191 233191 0 100% /boot
- check which linux images are installed using:

dpkg --get-selections | grep linux-image-
- chech which one you're using now:
uname -a
- uninstall a bunch of the oldest ones (but leave a few just in case - including the one you used to boot!). You can do this using
sudo apt-get remove linux-image- then just press tab to get a list of the installed images, type the next digit(s) and press tab again to autocomplete.
- also uninstall the last one (the one that failed) and install it again after all the old ones have been uninstalled)
- before uninstalling make absolutely sure you're not uninstalling the one you're currently using! The reason is that you may want to boot again using that kernel, if everything doesn't work out.
- reboot and see if it works (it did for me).

da_g_bomb
January 27th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Nice solution ager-wick,

I got the same error from the boot partition being full.

In the past I have free'd up some space, by manually deleted images or moving them out of the boot partition, but using apt-get to remove them seems much better.

When I checked the images I had, still had a lot of 2.6.28 and 2.6.31 images, which I got rid of.

I still have about 15 2.6.32 images which I should clear out at some point, but getting rid of the oldest ones free'd up enough space for the system to boot again.

OldestUbunterFr45
June 29th, 2013, 10:18 PM
One simpler solution
If you use grub before grub2, go in /boot/grub/device map : change (hd0) /dev/hda in /dev/sda
and so on for hd1
go in /boot/grub/menu.lst : change every line which contains hda1 in sda1 , and so on, save the file

This solution comes from using vmlinuz in Puppy 4.3.1 which works with sda and PartedMaic which works with hda
when configuring by grubconfig so When I restart the linux Puppy I got the error message:)
You can also change these values when entering "e" on grub line at boot

It was a pleasure and no reinstall neither kernel version in my case

lejf-rossi
March 20th, 2014, 03:48 AM
Sorry to keep this going, but I'm having the same issue as above, I checked the disk usage and its on the order of 8% used for the boot drive.

I did the boot info scrypt, and I that I have no grub.

Here is a link to the full results file (no sign in required): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7y25NiPomFuajk0cE9JQVduZTA/edit?usp=sharing

On the top it says this:

=> No boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.
=> No known boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb.

I've been in grub, so its there, why isn't it showing up?

Thanks in advance for any help.