PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Experiences with using Glipper, and trying to use ClipIt, in Ubuntu Classic

rewyllys
May 6th, 2011, 11:27 PM
After installing 11.04 and settling on Ubuntu Classic, I used Synaptic Package Manager to add Glipper, my long-favorite clipboard manager. After some difficulty, I discovered that in 11.04, Glipper is activated by opening the Terminal and issuing the CLI "glipper". This initiates several steps in the Terminal, which for me always failed to conclude.

However, after giving up, exiting the Terminal, and doing a number of other things, I had occasion to restart. Following the restart, the Glipper icon was in the panel, and Glipper was working just fine.

FWIW, the difficulties I mentioned above included making several tries at installing ClipIt. In every case, any attempt on my part to actually use ClipIt resulted in a complete freeze. I could recover from these freezes only by cutting off the power to my desktop and then re-powering and re-booting. (Needless to say, ClipIt is no longer installed on my desktop.)

shantzoo
May 23rd, 2011, 06:55 AM
The problem in the clipit package should be fixed soon in natty. Until then you could try my PPA for clipit, which will always hold the most up-to-date version: http://clipit.rspwn.com/ubuntu-ppa/