PDA

View Full Version : I Must Have Angered The Linux Gods

Throne777
May 6th, 2011, 10:53 PM
So a few days ago, after getting thoroughly annoyed with how upgrading to Unity had slowed my computer to a crawl, I decided to fresh install the latest openSuse with KDE. All was going fine until I tried installing proprietary nvidea drivers. The install went absolutely fine, then rebooted to start using the driver. Boom! My xorg.conf file had disappeared off the face of the Earth. Couldn't get a GUI in safe mode or normal mode.
So after using lynx (which made me feel like I was back in 1995) to try and find a solution to my problem (could only find Ubuntu versions of a solution), I ended up deciding to do a fresh install of Ubuntu 11.04 and give it another chance. Except it refused to install. It did manage to erase opensuse, leaving me with no OS. You can find that little debacle documented here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1751271

So I'm now running 10.04, after much swearing, panicking and cups of tea (I'm English, what can I say?).

Has anyone else found that there's occasional days when everything that could go wrong for no good reason does go wrong, and then some?

Shmantiv_Radio
May 6th, 2011, 10:55 PM
So a few days ago, after getting thoroughly annoyed with how upgrading to Unity had slowed my computer to a crawl, I decided to fresh install the latest openSuse with KDE. All was going fine until I tried installing proprietary nvidea drivers. The install went absolutely fine, then rebooted to start using the driver. Boom! My xorg.conf file had disappeared off the face of the Earth. Couldn't get a GUI in safe mode or normal mode.
So after using lynx (which made me feel like I was back in 1995) to try and find a solution to my problem (could only find Ubuntu versions of a solution), I ended up deciding to do a fresh install of Ubuntu 11.04 and give it another chance. Except it refused to install. It did manage to erase opensuse, leaving me with no OS. You can find that little debacle documented here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1751271

So I'm now running 10.04, after much swearing, panicking and cups of tea (I'm English, what can I say?).

Has anyone else found that there's occasional days when everything that could go wrong for no good reason does go wrong, and then some?

Tea solves everything.

OpenSUSE always broke for me with Nvidia. Glad to see they still haven't fixed that ><

Throne777
May 6th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Tea solves everything.

OpenSUSE always broke for me with Nvidia. Glad to see they still haven't fixed that ><

Funnily enough I tried running openSUSE a year ago and the same sort of thing happened then too. I would have thought that would be the kind of thing you'd prioritize fixing instead of trying to make the desktop widgets shinier.

Thewhistlingwind
May 6th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I would have thought that would be the kind of thing you'd prioritize fixing instead of trying to make the desktop widgets shinier.

That line just invited a tidal wave of unity trolling, just saying.

K_45
May 6th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Tea never helps, in England I'd have gone for Tennant's Super or Chimay Blue . . .

Shmantiv_Radio
May 6th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Tea never helps

Lies.

K_45
May 6th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Lies.

This bottle of foreign extra stout says different . . .

Throne777
May 6th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Tea never helps, in England I'd have gone for Tennant's Super or Chimay Blue . . .

Poor choice of beverage. A nice London porter or stout would do me nicely.

Islington
May 6th, 2011, 11:16 PM
opensuse always throws problems like this for me. Kubuntu just works.

K_45
May 6th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Poor choice of beverage. A nice London porter or stout would do me nicely.

Chimay ale is unbeatable except when I want extremely cheap lager.

cpmman
May 6th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Taddy Ales or Boddingtons