PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardware not adequate for running Unity

arvevans
May 6th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I have installed Ubuntu 11.04 on four different computers this week, and all gave the notice that "Hardware is inadequate to run UNITY". That is okay because I actually like and prefer the "Classic Ubuntu" look, but this message does beg the question of "just what hardware is required in order to run Unity?".

plucky
May 6th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I have installed Ubuntu 11.04 on four different computers this week, and all gave the notice that "Hardware is inadequate to run UNITY". That is okay because I actually like and prefer the "Classic Ubuntu" look, but this message does beg the question of "just what hardware is required in order to run Unity?".

You have to be able to run Compiz.

arvevans
May 6th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Okay...what hardware is required in order to run Compiz?

arvevans
May 8th, 2011, 06:23 AM
bump

Quackers
May 8th, 2011, 06:26 AM
It may be just a matter of installing the proprietary graphics drivers or alternatively the 3D experimental drivers.
It depends on which graphics cards are being used.
If they are Nvidia or ATI you can try running Additional Drivers and see if drivers are available. If so, try installing them and after a reboot you may find that unity will work. If you want it :-)

arvevans
May 8th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Quackers

That sounds reasonable. My systems are mostly ATI. I'll try installing the additional graphics support later this evening and see what happens. With all the Unity controversy I would like to at least be able to say I have tried it. :)

Thanks,
Arv