PDA

View Full Version : Thanks linux! Now I have no desktop I like.

Aquix
May 6th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I liked gnome 2 but that is going down the drain of no support. Unity is a ugly dream with no actual direction other than being different. Gnome shell, do I have to say anything? Gnome 3 and unity has caught the same virus as far as I'm concerned. I am not a kde guy. I have tried it several times and think it's lazy and if I have to see that grey "fill it up" color again I will puke. Xfce and lxde is my hope when they get there.

I'm a linux user for many many years but I'm actually thinking about adding money to buy a mac.

This desktop thing in linux needs resolve fast.

matt_symes
May 6th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Buy a mac then and be done with it.

Enough of these threads already.

Aquix
May 6th, 2011, 10:37 PM
So no critical thinking is allowed?

Timmer1240
May 6th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Sure is a lot of whining going on since the release of Natty!

aguafina
May 6th, 2011, 10:41 PM

Only if it's directed towards Apple. :D

BTW I have a MacPro & a PC that dual boots OSX and Gnome3.

I am sure you will love the Mac if you do get one.

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
May 6th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I'm putting Ubuntu 10.04 LTS back on all my PCs and sticking to it as long as it's supported or until the Ubuntu UI teem sees sense again.

Aquix
May 6th, 2011, 10:42 PM

I'm sure it's because it don't suck.

matt_symes
May 6th, 2011, 10:43 PM

Think critically and get a desktop environment that does what you need.

Stop moaning about one that doesn't do it for _you_.

KingYaba
May 6th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Stick with 10.04 and petition Canonical to release a Gubuntu derivative.

Timmer1240
May 6th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Everythings working great for me but Im still using gnome 2.30.2 on Mint Debian I dread the thought of changing my old fogey ways!

forrestcupp
May 6th, 2011, 10:47 PM
DWM is pretty good in Windows 7.

Kri5
May 6th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I'm not sure I like Unity or Gnome 3 desktop either but I don't see that as a reason to leave Linux or Ubuntu altogether. Instead I'm staying with Maverick, mainly as I've spent considerable time configuring it to my liking and I'm following the process of Unity with the prospect of upgrading to 11.10.

Rasa1111
May 6th, 2011, 10:58 PM
So you don't like the Unity environment..
But you are thinking about getting a mac, that really is not much different?

I mean, how many people have there been lately saying
"Unity? if I wanted a mac, I'd buy a mac" ?

Quite a few.

I also thought I would have to switch distros, and wanted nothing to do with Unity/11.04.
Then i gave it one last chance, and been using it since.
Ive still not wiped my 10.10 install, but i havent logged into it since installing Natty about 6 days ago.

It is working soo nicely, i kinda feel bad about all the crap I talked about it previously. lol

Timmer1240
May 6th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Stick with 10.04 and petition Canonical to release a Gubuntu derivative.

Up the irons I like it! IRON MAIDEN

Aquix
May 6th, 2011, 11:05 PM
I'm never getting a mac. My like list ends with apple.

But my point stands. There is nothing of the new desktops I like. gnome, unity, kde, lxde, xfce, open*..

It's all going to crap.

nrundy
May 6th, 2011, 11:05 PM
yeah, good luck with the mac. I'll stick with Unity.

Irihapeti
May 6th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Now, hasn't Debian Stable got a few years of life left? And that runs Gnome 2.

matt_symes
May 6th, 2011, 11:10 PM

It seems to me your like list ends way before apple.

Considered Windows or 10.04 LTS ?

First cup of Ubuntu and moaning already. Most other people just move onto something else if they don't like something.

My point is find what works for you and if nothing works for you then you are out of luck. I don't believe anybody is that picky though.

nrundy
May 6th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Yeah. what are you complaining about? People are being infected with a complain meme and they don't know what they are talking about. They are complaining just to complain.

The complaining will stop though eventually once folks realize Unity is a big improvement over gnome 2x.

OGpmpdog
May 6th, 2011, 11:19 PM
[QUOTE
I also thought I would have to switch distros, and wanted nothing to do with Unity/11.04.
Ive still not wiped my 10.10 install, but i havent logged into it since installing Natty about 6 days ago.

It is working soo nicely, i kinda feel bad about all the crap I talked about it previously. lol[/QUOTE]

Wow, thought it was just me.
I have been toying with Unity since December 3rd - and it sucked big time...In fact, I liked Unity less and less as development proceeded.
I did like you and gave it 1 more chance. what a difference.
Yes, Unity takes some getting used to, especially for cats like me who have used Gnomelike DE forever.

Yes, I still prefer Gnome, and I'll probably keep Lucid until my PC dies, but Unity is not as bad as these dramaqueen posters are making things seem.

Pressing the Linux button and typing a letter or two + return isnt the end of PC civilization..Yes, I miss the Places grouping, but guess what? You can click places in the upper left corner, instead of the lower-left corner!! Is that a deal-breaker?

Yes, the launcher needs work and is perceived as "in the way"...autohide can be your friend...

Believe me, I couldn't stand Unity, and Gnome is brilliant with its simplicity and functionality. I surprised myself by realizing that Unity is actually OK.

Gnome 2 is going bye-bye - get over it.

Are you going to evolve - or keep complaining?

Aquix
May 6th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Are you going to evolve - or keep complaining?

Since you point out unity and 3ell, I guess neighter.

oedipuss
May 6th, 2011, 11:23 PM
You could still use gnome-panel with your favorite dock/launcher in gnome 3 though. Gnome3 isn't just the shell, and afaik gnome-panel isn't dependent on gtk2 and will continue to be maintained.
I agree, this sounds less agreeable than having a default you like, but that kind of customization has been already happening in one form or another. It's not that different than ditching the gnome-panel altogether in gnome2 (or at least the bottom one) and using docky or awn. (which I'm almost certain is still very possible)

josephmills
May 6th, 2011, 11:33 PM
why don't you start making you own if it is that bad and there is nothing for you. Start it right now I am sure that there are others out there that feel the same way. Find them start writing your own. submit it. might take a real long time but at least you will have nothing to complain about. I think that gnome 3 is going to be great but it needs some time.

Timmer1240
May 6th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I used to like Kde and wouldnt try gnome now I love gnome so in a few years I will probably switch to Unity and it will be really polished by then!

Thewhistlingwind
May 6th, 2011, 11:39 PM
submit it.

To your source hosting site of choice? (Thats a yes, rhetorical question.) Though I don't think the OP wants to take something like that on.

Though my DE, were I to write one, would be very strange.....

speedwell68
May 6th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Why not just stick with 11.04, log out of your Unity session and log back in under an Ubuntu Classic session? Simples. I am not struck with Unity, but I am running with 11.04 and playing with Unity as and when I feel like it. Unity is far from a finished product and I am sure it will get better by the time of next LTS.

dtfinch
May 6th, 2011, 11:49 PM
5+ years ago I hated Gnome 2. Before late 2006 (http://www.linux.com/archive/articles/57088) even editing the main menu required editing and rearranging text files as root, then watching things break or reset on next update. And gtk2 programs were near unusably slow if they displayed any significant amount of text (like a browser or text editor), though some could be sped up by setting environment variables to disable pango.

Nowadays Gnome 2 feels like a normal desktop. Most things basically work. The same will probably happen with Gnome 3 and Unity, but hopefully it won't take 4+ years to fix the most serious and basic annoyances this time around. Personally I haven't used either very much yet, and will probably cling to 10.04 until all my favorite PPAs go idle.

kelvin spratt
May 6th, 2011, 11:49 PM
I must say I have not tried unity I'm using Gnome 3 with and with out shell and the more I use and learn gnome shell the more it makes sense Gnome 3 still uses compiz as before and once it develops a bit more people will wonder what anybody saw in Gnome2 as for the shell its a tweakers heaven even now you can change anything to anything with simple code once you have learnt it that is.

kaldor
May 6th, 2011, 11:56 PM
For anyone wanting to use GNOME panels forever, switch to Scientific Linux 6. RHEL-based and supported for at least 4 more years. By 2015, GNOME and Unity will have progressed.

Rasa1111
May 6th, 2011, 11:58 PM
[QUOTE

It is working soo nicely, i kinda feel bad about all the crap I talked about it previously. lol

Wow, thought it was just me.
I have been toying with Unity since December 3rd - and it sucked big time...In fact, I liked Unity less and less as development proceeded.
I did like you and gave it 1 more chance. what a difference.
Yes, Unity takes some getting used to, especially for cats like me who have used Gnomelike DE forever.

Pressing the Linux button and typing a letter or two + return isnt the end of PC civilization..Yes, I miss the Places grouping, but guess what? You can click places in the upper left corner, instead of the lower-left corner!! Is that a deal-breaker?

Believe me, I couldn't stand Unity, and Gnome is brilliant with its simplicity and functionality. I surprised myself by realizing that Unity is actually OK.

Are you going to evolve - or keep complaining?Yep, you not alone my friend. lol

I tried Natty/Unity a number of times before final release..
and I absolutely could not stand it.
I really was ready to move to Debian.

I also surprised myself when I realized that Unity was not nearly as bad as I originally found/thought it to be.
and Im actually enjoying using it!
Another surprise! lol :o

"evolve or keep complaining"That is pretty much the thought I used to change my way of thinking about the whole thing. Once i changed my mind-set.. everything started "falling into place" ;) lol

Also,
One can always use AWN to get the classic "main menu" back..

Like.191380

Warpnow
May 7th, 2011, 12:02 AM

But my point stands. There is nothing of the new desktops I like. gnome, unity, kde, lxde, xfce, open*..

It's all going to crap.

The newest release of xfce is really nice. Give it a shot.

Gremlinzzz
May 7th, 2011, 12:11 AM
I like it. but if i didn't i would move on,fact is i was getting bored with the same old but improved gnome releases.this is the best system released by Ubuntu.just move on.don't need to write a thread about it.

MooPi
May 7th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Hey OP take this desktop for a spin . Simple fast and never confusing. Openbox with wbar dock and openbox menu.

Irihapeti
May 7th, 2011, 12:15 AM
+1 for Openbox!

matt_symes
May 7th, 2011, 12:29 AM
@MooPi. That is a lovely desktop you have there.

Timmer1240
May 7th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Hey OP take this desktop for a spin . Simple fast and never confusing. Openbox with wbar dock and openbox menu.

Nice simple look I like it!Thats whats nice about Linux you can have it YOUR way!

cgroza
May 7th, 2011, 12:39 AM
The forum is saturated already, there is a Unity MEGA thread for "critical thinking".

danbuter
May 7th, 2011, 01:05 AM
We all know about the Cult of Mac. It seems the Cult of Mark is now in gear. Anything he says is gospel, and don't you forget it!

wilee-nilee
May 7th, 2011, 01:31 AM

Yeah, but yours isn't, I mean come on, those are opinions, not critical thinking. I recognise it as I do it too; Doh.;)

Bart_D
May 7th, 2011, 02:28 AM
...Xfce and lxde is my hope when they get there.....

Good sir, XFCE is ready and waiting for you.......right now.

Irihapeti
May 7th, 2011, 02:50 AM
Where specifically does it say that anything Mark says is gospel?

73ckn797
May 7th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Whining knows no favorites, no matter what the release.

Throne777
May 7th, 2011, 03:01 AM
Good sir, XFCE is ready and waiting for you.......right now.

The main thing that puts me off XFCE is that it seems to have its own freakish cult that went into overdrive since the release of 11.04.

I'm half expecting a mob of XFCE users to appear outside my house at midnight with flaming torches, robed in black, chanting in latin (gregorian style) about how lightweight and customizable it is.

Back, you fiends! Back I say!

neu5eeCh
May 7th, 2011, 04:24 AM
No desktop you like? That's the way I feel too. However, Xubuntu is growing on me.

I tried upgrading 10.04 (after I had tested Xubuntu in a spare partition) and the upgrade turned out to be a disaster. The Unity dock is the ugliest thing I've seen. I can't stand the global menu, etc., etc., etc...

Folks complain about the whining but for my perspective... all the Unity "happy talk" is worse than death by candy.

But Xubuntu is good. I miss a couple of things, but it also offers some improvements over Gnome.

It's also possible that JupiterOS (http://elementaryos.org/) will fork Gnome2. If I were you, and you really love Gnome2, I would consider installing JupiterOS. That's what I'm going to be installing on my spare partition. You get PPAs but a more sensible desktop.

christoph411
May 7th, 2011, 05:26 AM
The main thing that puts me off XFCE is that it seems to have its own freakish cult that went into overdrive since the release of 11.04.

I'm half expecting a mob of XFCE users to appear outside my house at midnight with flaming torches, robed in black, chanting in latin (gregorian style) about how lightweight and customizable it is.

Back, you fiends! Back I say!

Gave me a good laugh, mostly because its true! :D

|{urse
May 7th, 2011, 05:28 AM
On behalf of linux, You're Welcome.

If you dont like the default window manager, install a new one.

3rdalbum
May 7th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Just like with the window buttons, in a year's time only a few diehards will complain about Gnome 2's demise. The rest of us will be using a modern desktop environment, and we'll never again hear the complaint that "Ubuntu looks like it came from the 1990s".

Primefalcon
May 7th, 2011, 08:58 AM
For a desktop that is gnome2'ish (IMO better than gnome 2) try Xubuntu

NCLI
May 7th, 2011, 08:59 AM
I must say I have not tried unity I'm using Gnome 3 with and with out shell and the more I use and learn gnome shell the more it makes sense Gnome 3 still uses compiz as before and once it develops a bit more people will wonder what anybody saw in Gnome2 as for the shell its a tweakers heaven even now you can change anything to anything with simple code once you have learnt it that is.
Uh, you can't use compiz with Gnome Shell, only with the fallback mode.