PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrading from Feisty to Natty?

Thecoolguru
May 6th, 2011, 10:24 PM
My Live CD for Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) isn't working on my old computer for some reason. However, I have an old live CD for 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) lying around. Is it possible to install Feisty and upgrade from that to Natty?

Thanks in advance,
thecoolguru

David D.
May 6th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Yes, it is possible to upgrade from Feisty to Natty, but not directly. It would be a long process as you would have to upgrade to each of the releases along the way, i.e., 7.04 to 7.10 to 8.04 to 8.10 etc. You might be able to bypass some by going from a LTS to the next LTS in the process.

I do not recommend going this route.

Are you sure your old computer is capable of running Natty? Does the live CD work with the "try" option?

Maheriano
May 6th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Are the packages for versions 7 and 8 still being hosted anywhere? You can't upgrade to them if nobody's supplying them.

Thecoolguru
May 6th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by the "try option", David. If there's a way to run Natty directly, I'm definitely down for it. I'm just not sure how to get it to work on my computer. Both of my old computers just won't boot it. And Maheriano, you bring up a good point. Are they still on the Ubuntu servers?

Thecoolguru
May 6th, 2011, 11:04 PM
And oddly enough, Natty just booted. I'm not sure why. Well, in any case it's good!