PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Natty Kickoff Menu

Domos123
May 6th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I just installed Kubuntu, but whenever I install an application or remove one, the Kickoff Menu doesn't update to reflect this. The strange thing is, I can actually click on apps I supposedly uninstalled and they still launch, for example I replaced libreoffice with openoffice, and the menu still only shows libreoffice...

ankspo71
May 7th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Hi,
What you are describing sounds like normal behavior to me.

The kickoff menu should update the application entries automatically, usually within 5 seconds or so after installing or uninstalling an application, but if not, sometimes it helps to log out first, then log back in so the menu will update the application entries. Also, not all applications have a start menu entry, most of them do though.

If you run a program, then you decide to uninstall it, it can still run because that application is still stored in your computer's memory. Logging out and logging back in (or system restart) will prevent this from happening, and will also remove the kickoff menu entries for you (most of the time).
Hope this helps.

emi_ramo
November 7th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Hi,

The OpenOffice / LibreOffice is an exception, because them are the same program. When you install OpenOffice, you are installing LibreOffice. No matter how you want to call it, it's name is now LibreOffice. If you read carefully on packet's description, you'll read:

This is a transitional package, replacing the OpenOffice.org packaging
with the LibreOffice packaging.

It can be safely removed after an upgrade.

That's what it means: No more OpenOffice (Sun's or Oracle product). It's now an Apache product and, as it changed it's License and owner, it had changed it's name too. But it's the same program... Well, now it's maintained by an open community, with open source and free modification and redistribution License.

It's better than ever, and it will get still better with the community working hard on it. And too, it's probable that someone would want to do a fork and create a new office suite, or other office suites (koffice, for example) may take it's code (or part of it) to improve their programs.

That's the meaning of Libre and the diferent from the earlier Open.