PDA

View Full Version : how to find compatable laser printer?

tetsu7
May 6th, 2011, 09:19 PM
new to linux im using ubuntu 10.10 and im looking to purchase a new color laser printer. does anyone have any suggestions for me on how to find out if it is compatable with my OS? is there a database or something somewhere? if it supports mac is that an indication that it would probably support linux?

kevin11951
May 6th, 2011, 09:25 PM
http://www.openprinting.org/printers

Very mature printer drivers database for Linux...

Exodist
May 6th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Most HPs are compatible.

Try this also http://www.openprinting.org/printers

Edit: Kev beat me to it..

fballem
May 6th, 2011, 09:27 PM
This might be helpful: http://www.openprinting.org/printers

I have had a couple of HP LaserJet Printers that work well. I think HP have contributed programs and drivers to Linux.

nrundy
May 6th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Brother Printers have Linux drivers for all their printers on their website. If you buy a Brother, just go to their site like you would for Windows and download the driver. Follow the instructions on the Brother website for install instructions.

Same as Windows basically

stmiller
May 6th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Samsung is good as well,

tetsu7
May 7th, 2011, 05:49 PM
all good information everyone thank you, i very much appreciate it! someone stated that brother printers are good which i have heard before from the owners of an ink cartridge refill shop. i ran across this statement ill post below. im wondering if anyone with brother experience can say if this is common with brother printers or perhaps it was just this particular model? ive seen a couple samsungs that look ok. hp's cant duplex, for a $700 machine thats just wrong.

I set mine to monochrome to save the color toner but it did no good because the printer automatically makes you replace the toner at around 1000 pages. I called customer service and was told that you have to replace the toner after so many rotations. I have printed a total of 1136 pages and have had to replace the black toner twice and the color toners once. I have printed less than 20 pages in color and the rest in black. I tried to get away with just continuing to print because I knew that there was plenty of toner, but the printer will not print at all. It won't even print in black even though the black toner is new. The printer says to replace all 3 color toners but not the black. You are forced to buy cartridges whether you need them or not and there is no way to save your color toner, just replace the toner every 1000 pages. You also have to replace the drums every 15000 pages.

collisionystm
May 7th, 2011, 05:51 PM
new to linux im using ubuntu 10.10 and im looking to purchase a new color laser printer. does anyone have any suggestions for me on how to find out if it is compatable with my OS? is there a database or something somewhere? if it supports mac is that an indication that it would probably support linux?

Hp all the way. Make sure to install hplip