PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 11.04 nightmare

richpri
May 6th, 2011, 06:34 PM
This week I attempted to upgrade my Ubuntu 10.10 operating system to the latest release [11.04] and what a disaster this was!
The Ubuntu developers have implemented a new front end called Unity and used it to replace Gnome. They did this unilaterally and I was unaware of the change until after the upgrade.
The look and feel of Unity is vastly different from Gnome. It more resembles the interface for an Ipod or a smart-phone. It uses large icons and and presents what I guess is supposed to be a more user friendly view of the system. But I found it totally non intuitive and completely incompatible with my normal method of doing business. It took me 15 frustrating minutes just to find the menu bar! This is no longer a part of the active window and does not show up unless you point the cursor at it!
I suppose I may have been able to cope with this eventually. But I was never given the opportunity to try. This is because Ubuntu 11.04 does not even work! My screen was constantly freezing, the cursor did not point correctly when in the new browser and a number of options that I normally use in the Admin menu were either missing or did not work as I expected when selected.
I eventually had to blow away the hard drive and reinstall 10.10 from scratch!
My advice to Ubuntu users is stay away from 11.04. My request to the Ubuntu developers is to go back to Gnome. Please. . .

ivanovnegro
May 6th, 2011, 06:40 PM
To go back to Gnome 2.x is not an option for the developers as Gnome is dead now, you have to accustom to it.
The developers wont also hear you here as they normally dont visit the forums.
Maybe your hardware is not compatible with Unity, did you try to boot into the Classic Gnome option, there you can also use the old Gnome?

Dutch70
May 6th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I think this should have been put in testimonials, as there is not a support question in there anywhere.

If you don't like Unity with 11.04, you can always choose "Ubuntu Classic" at the log-in screen, or you can install Gnome3.
No sense advising other people to stay away from 11.04 when some people love it.

A little time searching the web or posting an actual support question could have saved you a lot of time & probably a huge headache. ;)