PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Creating new workspaces

theKuch
May 6th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Just upgraded to 11.

Used to use 6 workspaces. New versions gives you 4.

How do you increase this number?

Also is there still a graphic way of seeing in which workspace you are located without having to use [ctrl][alt] arrow?

Thanks, Menachem

ChipOManiac
May 6th, 2011, 03:33 PM
What DE Are You On?

donato roque
May 6th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I assume by your question that you are using 11.04 and Unity. To modify the number of workspaces for Unity start CCSM and go to the general options then to the desktop size tab.

To get my bearings in Unity, I often use Superkey+S (overview of the workspaces). Another is the Window overview (window icons of the open application) invoked by typing Superkey+W.

Megaptera
May 6th, 2011, 06:16 PM
This might help:
"The applet allows Ubuntu 11.04 users to customize the number of workspaces and rows used by the Unity ‘Workspace Switcher’, as well as switch between workspaces themselves directly from the panel."
Here: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/quickly-adjust-the-number-of-workspaces-in-unity-with-indicator-workspaces/

theKuch
May 8th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks. I installed and ran CCSM and set up extra workspaces.
I also used the keys you mentioned, Superkey+S and +W.

However things seem to be disappearing and then reappearing on the various desktops. Can't work out a pattern.

How do I get an applet like I used to have in all the older version, where I can click into the desktop I want, using the mouse not the keyboard.

Also the new version doesn't show on a bar the windows that are open in any desktop. Again I need to use tabs on the keyboard and not the mouse.