PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can I resize my ubuntu 11.04 partition?

kronospear
May 6th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I have 2 hard drives and my ubuntu is installed in the second hard drive. I made ubuntu only 15gb and I want to resize the partition to 50 gb. How can I do this easily? Should I use the installation cd? Please yell me the instructions. :)

Quackers
May 6th, 2011, 03:00 PM
What is your current partition setup on the hard drive which has Ubuntu on it? Maybe a screenshot of your gparted screen for that drive would help.
You may need to install gparted first (via synaptic package manager).

kronospear
May 7th, 2011, 01:29 AM
What is your current partition setup on the hard drive which has Ubuntu on it? Maybe a screenshot of your gparted screen for that drive would help.
You may need to install gparted first (via synaptic package manager).

Ok. I'm gonna have it as soon as I get the power back on

MAFoElffen
May 7th, 2011, 02:39 AM
Ok. I'm gonna have it as soon as I get the power back on
I hate when "that" happens ](*,)

If you are not changing the logical order of the partitions, what I would do then is to boot on a GParted LiveCD and use Move/Resize to do it.

kronospear
May 8th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I hate when "that" happens ](*,)

If you are not changing the logical order of the partitions, what I would do then is to boot on a GParted LiveCD and use Move/Resize to do it.

Hmmm. So when I resize it using gparted, will it delete all my data, break the ubuntu os or do nothing other than resize the partition

willz06jw
June 19th, 2011, 03:53 PM
The answer is most likely no -- I am about to do the same thing myself.

willz06jw
June 19th, 2011, 10:52 PM
After I resized the partition, it screwed up how the computer booted. I then used the Rescatux Live CD to auto-fix grub (the bootloader) --- now it works perfectly!

Rescatux Live CD is available at: http://www.supergrubdisk.org/rescatux/

Have a good one,
Will