PDA

View Full Version : Is there any opensource/linux driven eReader out there?

Pithikos
May 6th, 2011, 02:38 PM
For many weeks I have been checking Kindle from Amazon and been very tempted to buy such an ereader as it seems very practical when going abroad or even to the toilet. The thing is that I would prefer to get a hardware eReader that uses open-source software both to support the movement and for future tweaks/hacks. Is there any such eReader out there?

gordintoronto
May 6th, 2011, 04:35 PM
The Kindle is based on Linux. There is talk that a next-generation Kindle will use Android and color E-Ink. It will be able to run apps. It's expected later this year.

jonathonblake
May 6th, 2011, 06:08 PM
get a hardware eReader that uses open-source software both to support the movement and for future tweaks/hacks.

The Colour Nook runs on Android. Odds are, the person at B&N will tell you how to root it. Something that probably will void the warranty, but anyway.

If you have the cash, get the Motorola Xoom. Alternatively wait six or so months, for the prices on Android Tablets to drop. (The only ebook format I can't read on my Android Tablet is .LIT. Which also happens to be the only eBook format at can't read on my WinMo device. I haven't figured out why Calibre won't convert those books to a usable eBook format.)

jonathon

Pithikos
May 6th, 2011, 06:44 PM
The Colour Nook runs on Android. Odds are, the person at B&N will tell you how to root it. Something that probably will void the warranty, but anyway.

If you have the cash, get the Motorola Xoom. Alternatively wait six or so months, for the prices on Android Tablets to drop. (The only ebook format I can't read on my Android Tablet is .LIT. Which also happens to be the only eBook format at can't read on my WinMo device. I haven't figured out why Calibre won't convert those books to a usable eBook format.)

jonathon

Well I don't want a tablet really. Tablets are too big I think and weight more with all the extras. Plus if I have a tablet I am afraid that instead of reading books I will sit and watch movies :P

metalf8801
May 6th, 2011, 06:44 PM
the closet thing I can think of right now is the
http://www.openmoko.com/wikireader.html

Sony uses an open source format for it's ebooks called EPUB which you can read on Ubuntu using Calibre which is available in the Ubuntu Software Center. However, EPUB eBook with DRM will most likely not be readable on Ubuntu.

OpenInkpot is open source firmware that can run on some eBook readers see their website for a list of supported devices http://openinkpot.org/

Please keep in mind that Android 3.0 which runs on the Xoom is not open source http://www.osnews.com/story/24568/Google_Withholds_Android_3_0_Source
and just because a device like the Kindle runs Linux does not make it fully open source. With the kindle you have to rely on Amazon to make the software for their eBooks available for your device.

I hope this helps and if you do find a fully open eBook reader I hope you post your findings here

celiapgt
April 18th, 2013, 05:15 AM
I have used PocketBook Pro 602 and I know there is Linux inside. It ran very well for me (now, it run well for my mom)!

wildmanne39
April 18th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Thread closed. Please do not post in old threads.