PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade - randomly logs me out??

F.G.
May 6th, 2011, 01:27 PM
hi,
I recently upgraded to natty narwhol, via the update upgrade from maveric meerkat (10.9), on a toshiba satellite pro L300. now every now and then, for no apparent reason, my computer screen goes blank, I see startup, text (eg 'checking battery status ...' that kind of thing) and find myself at the login screen, as though my laptop has spontaneously restarted (although it is way to fast for it to have actually restarted). anyone else have this problem?? it seems to happen when I press 'enter' though only occasionally.

another thing is that my pointer was a floating protozoa thing, now its kind of half that and half the regular DMZ pointer. (easily fixed, but i though that if any ubuntu guys look at this they might want to know).

i think a fresh install should fix the prob, i may look around at some other distros if im gonna do that (gentoo? centOS? crunchbang? I know, I know, and ubuntu's been so good to me). Also while i think its great that ubuntu is moving forward and changing, i don't really like unity.

F.G.
May 17th, 2011, 06:58 PM
hey, just thought I'd give this one a bump, as it is still an issue. just did it again, without any warning, and without me hitting any key (so apparently it is unrelated to input). thought maybe my laptop was over-heating, but it doesn't feel that hot, also it return to the login screen too quickly for it to have fully shut down, (also with over-heating i would expect it to just die, rather than reboot).
anyway, any advice would be very welcome and helpful.
(my Msc Finals start in a week so I really don't want to do a fresh install of an os before they're done).
thanks, francis
ps I take back anything I said about other os's or unity.

F.G.
June 10th, 2011, 12:52 PM
hey folks,
I realise that this thread is old and has langoured, probably because this is not a common problem and the ubuntu community don't have an answer. however having had it recur twice today I though i'd bump this thread. in case anyone's figured it out in the last month. also I'm fairly sure its not a hardware issue.
f.g