PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] No Deskto after Natty (11.04) installation

TopEnder
May 6th, 2011, 12:24 PM
G'Day and Thanks in advance,
Installed Natty (11.04) from a Live CD on /sdc1 with /home on /sdb1. Both HDD were formated and no other OS or Programs were installed on these HDD. With the internet connected and updates selected, the installation proceeded normally. After reboot I enteres my password, never saw any options to set up the Graphics (Unity/Ubuntu/Custom etc) all that was displayed was the Desktop background, occassionly some icons would flash briefly & no top or bottom panels. I pressed Control Alt Delete and after a few tries position the cursor was able to logout.
The Specs: Old AMD 2700+
Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 Graphic

I am aware that the above can not display or use Unity, is it possible to open 11.04 to select Ubuntu custom either by keyborrd entry or Live CD. Any help in correcting this problem would be appreciated. TopEnder

Hedgehog1
May 6th, 2011, 01:03 PM
When you are at the point that you enter your password, there is a selection option of 3 desktop styles at the bottom of the screen.

Please try the 'Classic, No Effects' and see of that functions for you.

This link shows a picture of those section options: Natty Info: Your UI options (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1741293)

The Hedge

:KS

TopEnder
May 6th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, I'll clean my glasses and see if I see the options ant the bottom of the screen (maybe I have tunnel vision). Will get back to you either later tonight or tomorrow then I log onto 11.04.

TopEnder
May 6th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Hedgehog1, Thanks that did the trick first try nothing displayed at the bottom of the screen, second re-start at the password entry point a bottom panel appeared with the 3 desktop styles (slow to display), selected Ubuntu custom and the desktop appeared now I can try other options. I think this PC & Graphic card is just about passed their use by date. TopEnder

Hedgehog1
May 6th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Well.... You wanted a New PC anyway, right?

I just LOVE new hardware...

The Hedge

:KS