PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Downgrading libstdc++6

karthik.V.M.
May 6th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Hi All,

I use ubuntu lucid distribution. The libstdc++6 distributed in lucid is 4.4.3. But for some other work I installed libstdc++6 from natty whose version is 4.5.2. I did this by adding natty in the synaptic repositories. I would now want to go back to libstdc++6 4.4.3 but to do that the system says it needs to remove many packages of which essential packages are also a part. I cannot remove any essential package as the system may crash. Any idea on how to do that? :confused:

Thanks,
karthik

slooksterpsv
May 6th, 2011, 06:29 AM
If you installed it via a adding a repository to Natty, just remove that repository and run:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

That should take it back to the current repository items, but if you have other natty stuff it'll remove those as well.

Otherwise how did you install it?

karthik.V.M.
May 6th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Hi slooksterpsv,

Thanks for your quick answer. Also in the meantime, I actually downgraded the libstdc++6 with the following command.

sudo aptitude purge libstdc++6

It purged the libstdc++6 4.5.2 version(which is currently installed) and downgraded to the libstdc++6 4.4.3 version which is the default lucid version automatically. This tool is very intelligent. But synaptic complained a lot when I gave remove libstdc++6 that essential packages needs to be removed. Hope everything is fine now.

So does synaptic and aptitude are different tools?. I thought synaptic is a GUI version of aptitude.

Cheers :),
karthik.

slooksterpsv
May 6th, 2011, 07:07 AM
To my understanding Synaptic and Aptitude are the same thing, ones a GUI and whats a CLI.
I could be wrong, but yeah.